Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.72090°N / 73.1662°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2221 ft / 677 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Pine Cobble, rising to the northeast of Williamstown, MA, forms part of the panoramic backdrop of the Purple Valley. It's also the southernmost peak in the Green Mountain Range and the beginning of the Long Trail. Easily accessed from Williamstown, it’s a great trail for those interested in a relatively short, but worthwhile expedition. Well-paced and well-maintained, it is a perfect introduction to the world of New England hiking.

Getting There


To get to the trailhead from the Williams College campus, you will need to cross the Hoosac River on Cole Ave. To get there, head north (towards Mission) from Baxter, continue past Mission, Poker Flats and Cole Field House. The road swings right just past Eph’s Pond and runs the length of Cole Field before intersecting with Cole Avenue. Make a left and cross the bridges. Make a right on North Hoosac Road, being extremely careful, as there is no shoulder. Pine Cobble Road will be on the left, and the trailhead will be up the hill on the right, across from the small parking lot.

Red Tape


No permits; just stay on the trail.

When To Climb


Pine Cobble is among the best all-season climbs in the Berkshires. There is a 30-foot section towards the top that is a bit tricky for novice snowshoers, but otherwise anyone can do it anytime.

Camping


There is camping on the backside along the Appalachian Trail. It is free, and there are several tent platforms and fire rings. The nearest hut is the Seth Warner hut across the Vermont border.

Mountain Conditions


Real-time weather

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.