Pine Mountain (Desert Divide) Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
orbitor

orbitor - Jan 30, 2013 7:33 pm Date Climbed: Dec 8, 2012

From PCT  Sucess!

Was a bit apprehensive about this, our 3rd summit of the day. Took the use trail off PCT, but lost it after getting over the first ridge. Ended up doing some serious bushwhacking before finding the use trail again and following it to the summit. Thank goodness someone took the time to cut branches off and duck this route. Scrambled up the boulders where the USGS markers are located (ignored the class 5 rock further south). All the effort was worth it, as the views east are truly impressive. Had no problem following the use trail back to PCT.

cab

cab - Dec 12, 2011 10:20 am Date Climbed: Dec 10, 2011

Cedar Springs Trail  Sucess!

I was expecting a bushwhack, but was happy to find a well clipped and ducked use trail all the way to the top from the saddle northwest of the peak. The use trail does not follow the ridge to the summit, but stays below it on the south side. I didn't get a chance to climb the summit block since I was solo, but it looked impressive. Great views from the HPS summit of most of the significant summits in socal.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - May 28, 2009 1:17 pm Date Climbed: Apr 18, 2009

A fine summit block  Sucess!

Best peak of the day, hands down. With Tom Becht, below. Trip Report

bechtt

bechtt - Apr 20, 2009 2:17 pm Date Climbed: Apr 18, 2009

Desert Divide South  Sucess!

3 day HPS sweep with Bob Burd. Peak #9 of 18 -- fourth one of the day. Somehow we missed the climbers trail from the saddle and fought our way up some nasty brush. I gave up after a while while Bob forged on. After going back down to the saddle, I found the correct route and ended up at the summit monolith a couple of minutes after Bob. Very unnerving watching him free climb the monolith in tennis shoes -- thankfully he belayed me up 'cause I have no faith in my shoes smearing.

NavySeabee

NavySeabee - Mar 26, 2008 12:54 pm Date Climbed: Mar 25, 2008

5 HPS Day  Sucess!

Third of my peaks along the desert divide and definitely the most enjoyable. Definitely would have blown more than the 20 minutes I spent on the summit rocks had I not been on a "mission." Climbed to the benchmarks, but didn't attempt the 60' granite lopsided egg since I was flying solo. Cool peak!

Dave Daly

Dave Daly - Apr 12, 2007 1:50 am Date Climbed: Apr 8, 2007

Easter Duck Hunt  Sucess!

From the Cedar Springs Trailhead, the hike leading up to Pine Mountain was straight forward. But just shy of the objective, the Easter Bunny had us playing a game of "find the Easter cairns". After backtracking through a manazanita barracade, we eventually found Peter Cottontail's trail of rock cairns through a narrow maze trail leading to the summit and the technical pinnacle. Found old slings on the summits bolts and replaced them with new slings. No written recorded registers found on the technical summit. We left a small hand written note under a pile of rocks. Good times with a great partner and beautiful wife!!

Deb

Deb - Apr 12, 2007 1:25 am Date Climbed: Apr 8, 2007

Happy Windy Easter!  Sucess!

The day started out placid and warm but became quite windy and we were engulfed in clouds on our descent. Easy climb up the pinnacle and great views all around.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Pine Mountain (Desert Divide)' main page