Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.46763°N / 122.6341°W
Additional Information County: Skagit
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 616 ft / 188 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Heart Lake is actually more scenic that this summit
Heart Lake

Okay it is not a great day in the Pacific Northwest. Avalanche danger is high and weather is not too great. Well if you are looking for a nice easy hike in a unique place check out Pine Ridge Hill located on FIdalgo Island. Okay I will be honest. The summit has marginal views at best but Heart Lake below it is very rewarding in terms of views. The trail is growing in popularity and is easy even for novices. If you go to the summit only 2 miles and 500 feet of elevation gain.       

Eastern shot toward Sugarloaf
Eastern shot toward Sugarloaf

Getting There

VIA THE HEART LAKE TRAILHEAD: From Exit 230 off of I-5 take Highway 20 west 11 and 1/2 miles to toward Anacortes. Where Highway 20 split head for Deception Pass/Ferry Terminal. At about two miles make a right on Campbell Lake Road. Once past the lake and at a Y intersection veer right on Heart Lake Road. Head up the road 1.5 miles and park at the parking lot right next to the Mount Erie Road. The trail will be located across the street. 

Route

Map of the Route
Map of the Route up Pine Ridge Hill

From the parking area cross the street. There will be a T intersection. For the more direct route make a left. Head up at a moderate pitch for a half mile to the height of land. From there you will see a trail to the right. That is the summit trail. Make a right here and take the trail all the way to the summit. The summit is basically treed in though there are some minor views here and there. Either head back the way you came or make a loop of it and go to Heart Lake which is much more rewarding.in terms of views.  

Group picture from the summit
Group picture from the summit

Red Tape

No red tape is required at this trailhead.

When to Climb

Heart Lake from the road (along with Sugarloaf)
Heart Lake from the road (along with Sugarloaf)

This is a four seasons trail. Winter would be the best time because the leaves are off the trees and you will get some views. 

Camping

Camping is prohibited on these trails..

External Links

Pine Ridge Hill Peakbagger Page