Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Additional Information Object Type: Outdoor-type people have seen:
Additional Information County: several

Long strips excavated, restoration underway:

A 399-mile oil pipeline has been approved and much of it has been finished. Along Utah highway 36 north of Vernon Utah and joining with US Highway 6 traveling southward from Eureka arriving at Jericho Junction, about a 40 foot wide ribbon has been cleared and trenched. A 12-inch diameter, heavy duty pipe has been delivered in sections and then carefully welded. Somehow the pipe has been bent to conform to the landscape. Multiple washes in the desert have to be crossed. Costing $300 million, each mile averages $750 thousand dollars. Part of the cost is replanting native vegetation on the fresh dirt. No landscape water: very special, drought-resistant seeds have been used. A bright green stripe can been seen north of Lynndyl on the east side of US highway 6. Those plants required even less rain-water than the (dead) grasses on each side. The pipe continues southwest of Delta Utah crossing US highway 6-50 near milemarker 75. The pipe is also found parallel to Utah highway 257 and east of Cricket Mountains.

Getting there:

Starting in Woods Cross, Utah and ending in Las Vegas, Nevada. The goal is 62,000 barrels per day, and up to 110,000 barrels. Saving money on trucking: there are no tires, trucks, or drivers on the roads. More than 100 trucks would have to drive the distance and return empty to do this job. The pipe will hold about $40 million worth of oil before any comes out the other end. This is industry, not a government project. UNEV is the given name of the owners.

Seen due north of Delta, Utah

Also in the area of this pipeline north of Delta, you will notice a power plant about 9 miles west of US Highway 6. A 714-foot high smokestack is seen for more than 50 miles in all directions. Twice a day, 100 coal-filled train cars leave Wellington, Utah going through Price Canyon and out Spanish Fork canyon on their way to Delta. The water comes from Sevier River, trapped in a dam northeast of Delta. Los Angeles writes a check for the coal and sends it to Utah. Just imagine how many good, local jobs are provided by this enterprise.

Other pipelines

Pipelines are used to take water, oil, and natural gas to markets. There's even an old pipeline cutting through Arches National Park. West of the town of Moab, a pipeline was installed, and now the path is called the Pipeline Trail, attracting bicyclists and hikers. Great use!