Pissis summits

Pissis summits

Some figures about all these Pissis summits... Eduardo measured EAST II 4 meters lower than MAIN and EAST I 6 meters lower than MAIN with GPS accuracy of 8 meters. So to be sure to climb the real summit of PISSIS, climb these 3 as we did! EAST II is really worth a look and EAST I will be on the way… If you do consider “Gendarmeria Nacional” as one of the summits of PISSIS range, you should also consider East III and the 3 west summits. They are higher or of equal height and absolutely more prominent than GN even on IGM map. Therefore there are not 5 (as seen from north) or 6 (adding PISSIS IV = west I) but at least 9 summits as seen from main summit plateau. As heights and prominences are very close in figures, fine survey could be interesting and why not surprising! May I suggest we do not add some more!!!
FrançoisJ
on May 14, 2007 12:54 pm
Image ID: 293154

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - May 14, 2007 1:35 pm - Voted 10/10

how were the measurements taken?

I measured the main summit with DGPS at 6793m +/-5m. Did you happen to see my (German) survey mark on the summit?
I hope to survey East II one day, as it could be equally high or even higher.

Nice job with la cruz!

FrançoisJ

FrançoisJ - Aug 22, 2007 3:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: how were the measurements taken?

Hello,

Sorry
I do not log on very offen...
Sorry again I haven't seen your mark, on the main summit rock I could guess? Should be next to the cruz...
Measurements were taken by Edu (see summit log) with a Garmin etrex legend. I do not which GPS calculation mode was used.
Accuracy was rather the same. After staying 15 minutes, heigth was between 6799 and 6803.
He did the same for EAST 1 6797 and EAST II 6799.
You should go for both EAST's as they are very close (distance and height).
Well, hard to tell wich one of the 3 is the highest, that was why I wanted to climb them all and I am even much more convinced after the climb that if you really want to summit PISSIS, it should be done that way... But every data seem to confirm that main summit is the one you climbed.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2