Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.37868°N / 9.95670°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 6, 2004
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring

Description:

Late in the season, in June, we decided to make a Ski tour to Piz Palü 3901. In June the summer begins, but in the mountains, around 3000m, you can still make good ski tours. The Piz Palü is a very famous and popular mountain in the eastern part of Switzerland, in the Swiss canton Grisons. Piz Palü is the neighbour of Piz Bernina 4049m in the Bernina mountain range.

Piz Palü has three summits. The three summits are called:
- East summit = Piz Palü Orientale 3882 m
- Main or middle summit = Muot dal Palü 3901m
- West summit = Piz Spinas 3823 m


Our ski tour on the Piz Palü 3901m:


We started at the mountain hotel Diavolezza 2978m and first we had to go down to the big glacier “Vadret Pers”. This glacier is well-known and notorious for many large and deep crevasses. It is recommended to rope up, even with ski. Over this glacier “Vadret Pers” we went to the point 3726m and at a height about 3800m we have fixed our skis to the backpack and further we went by foot. It follows a steep ascent over a firn and ice flank to the east summit of Piz Palü, named Piz Palü Orientale 3882 m. afterwards comes the transition to the middle and highest summit of the Piz Palü. We are very carefully balanced over this narrow ridge. we had to carry the ski also over there, it was aggravating. Then came the big finale: we skied down from the summit of Piz Palü to the Alp Grüm at the Bernina railway. A fantastic ski-run by a breathtaking glacier-world.

Piz Palü 3901mPiz Palü 3901m
Piz Palü 3901mPiz Palü 3901m



Accommodation

Mountain hotel Diavolezza - Link: www.diavolezza.ch

or www.st.moritz.ch and www.pontresina.com


Link

Link to our Piz Palü tour: palu report




Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Piz PalüTrip Reports