SP Plans & Partners
Make plans. Find activities. Meet people.

Colorado 14er Mar 31-Apr 2, 2007


Posted by puddlecruiser on Feb 22, 2007
Page Views: 474

Activity Details

Dates: Mar 30, 2007 through Apr 2, 2007
City or Place: 39.00970°N / 106.8608°W
Skill Level: Beginner, Intermediate
Categories: Mountaineering
Partner Status: Need Partners


I just booked a flight to Gunnison to climb the last weekend in March / first in April. I've got my eyes on Castle Peak at the moment, but would be willing to climb something else, so long as it's in the area. I have experience climbing, and am planning on doing this climb solo, but would actually prefer the safety of having a companion. Roping usage and route selection will be worked out. I'm flexible. I can supply an extra harness, and we can share my tent, ir preferred. Let's combine the vehicle cost too!

We'll work out the details later.... The question is: Are you going to be in the vicinity of Gunnison Colorado between Friday March 30, 2007 and Tuesday April 2, 2007, and have an interest in a winter ascent of a big peak? Let me know!
-Dave Connolly


Post a Comment

ppergandeCastle Peak


What route are you planing on?
Posted Feb 23, 2007 4:25 pm

mikebowenlots of suffering


Castle from the Gunnison side would be an endless slog anytime in the near future unless you bring a sled, and by then the road will be a patchwork of mud and snow. Wetterhorn or Uncompaghre might have shorter approaches since Lake City's drier this winter. Good Luck!
Posted Mar 11, 2007 3:42 am

puddlecruiserUndecided Route


I didn't specify a route, because I don't want to turn anyone off before finding more about the possibility of doing it together. Thanks for the tip on Castle, Mike. That realization has dawned on me as well. The idea of doing Castle's North Face Couloir and hiking in either from Ashcroft or the conundrum Trailhead is an option still. That will be dependant on what the weather does in the next two weeks, and how risky the approach would be regarding avalanches. I was looking at the Russian Couloir route on Lincoln Mountain. That looks like a great climb.. The conditions for the North slope of of Antero are such a gamble, because they have to be just right. I'd like to try that way because the route looks fun, but I'll probably not bother gambling with the weather. I eliminated Capitol, Maroon Bells, and Pyramid because the route descriptions fortell a very dangerous solo winter trip. I'd consider Capitol's knife edge if we could team up though. The nordwand on Mt. Democrat looks enticing (Dawson 3.1.14). I guess it could be possible to tie Democrat and Lincoln together, starting out at the Montgomery Resevoir trailhead. Mt Harvard's south face snow route is supposed to be ideal in early spring, so I'm consider that one. Huron Peak's snow route looks fun (1.5.3). La Plata Peak's North Face looks fun.

Clearly there are many options on the table. I want to find a route that steep and challenging. Obviously, my final decision will have to be based on site conditions. Considering I'm in Washington, DC, it's hard for me to know what kind of conditions I'll find.

Any suggestions or advice you'd like to share will be received well.
Posted Mar 17, 2007 1:36 pm

Viewing: 1-3 of 3

Sign in to post!

Don't have an account? Register now.

"Here's the minority vote."   --Bill The Butcher   

© 2006-2015 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.