Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.70061°N / 11.45673°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8071 ft / 2460 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

PlattenjochPlattenjoch seen from the east

At 2460m Plattenjoch belongs to the less impressive mountains of the Sarntal Alps / Monti Sarentini. It is part of the Kassian Group of the mountain range, more or less in its center - or to be more precise - in the middle of the eastern branch of the Sarntal Horseshoe. Its direct neighbours include Kassianspitze / Cima San Cassiano, Getrumspitze / Cima Getruna and Blankenhorn / Corno Bianco. Very often it is climbed together with the latter two as the three mountains make up a single ridge. Two more lower mountains form this ridge: Pichlberg and Morgenrast / Monte Matina.
Plattenjoch
Getrumspitze / Cima Gethruna
Plattenjoch

As you can imagine the biggest thing in the area is the five summits hike, of which Plattenjoch is the central one. It is recommendable at all times of the year. In winter the ridge traverse can be done as a ski tour with low avalanche potential. Up- and downside alike is the ski / chair lift which runs from Reinswald / San Martino to the Pichlberg summitt. While it facilitates access greatly in the winter season as well as during the hot summer moths it ensures crowds on the mountains. Moreover, in late winter skiing activity grinds away the runs on the Pichlberg and Plattenjoch west faces which gives the slopes a rather raw appearance. The best time to climb the mountain is in autumn - September or October - when the ski lifts are maintained for the winter season and only experienced hikes head out for the summits.
Hohe Scheibe
Jakobspitze / Cima di San Giacomo
Kassianspitze and Samspitze

As a lookout peak, Jochplatte is as good a mountain as you can have it in the Sarntal Alps. Moderate in elevation the 360° panorama includes Dolomites, Brenta Group, Ortler / Ortles Group, Ötztal Alps and Stubai Alps. The main ridge of the Stubai Alps is hiddden behind the higher Blankenhorn / Corno Bianco and Getrumspitze / Cima Getruna. In all an enjoyable summit, also manageable with kids.

Note: I have not been able to find the Italian name of the peak. The addition would be very welcome.

360° Summit Panorama

360° summit panorama from Plattenjoch

Getting There

The best trailhead for Plattenjochis at Reinswald / San Martino in Sarntal / Val Sarentino (or rather Durnholztal / Valdurna). There are ski lifts which run to neighbouring Pichlberg, which is only about 100m lower than Jochplatte.

You also can start in Eisacktal / Valle d'Isarco but the route is very long. Moreover there are more interesting summits if you start from this side.
  • Take Brenner Motorway A22 to Bozen / Bolzano
  • Drive through the city, following signs to Sarntal / Val Sarentino on SS508
  • At Astfeld / Campolasta turn off onto SP137, direction Durnholz / Valdurna
  • At Unterreinswald / San Martino Bassa turn onto SP138 to Reinswald / San Martino. Park at the cable-car station.

Red Tape

Stubai Alps Main Ridge from Plattenjoch

There's no red tape. You might have to cross pasture gates which you are requested to shut behind you.

Accommodation

Eisacktal / Valle Isarco

Bozen / Bolzano

Weather Conditions



Maps & Books

Maps

  • Digital Maps
  • Regular Maps
    • Sarntal/Val Sarentino
      Kompass Map WK 056
      1:35.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-340-0
    • Brixen / Bressanone
      Kompass Map WK 56
      1:50.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-063-0
    • Bozen / Bolzano
      Kompass Map WK 54
      1:50.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-061-4
    • BOLZANO-RENON / BOZEN-RITTEN-TSCHÖGGLBERG
      Tabacco Map 034
      1:25.000
    • MONTE SARENTINI / SARNTALER ALPEN
      Tabacco Map 040
      1:25.000


Books

  • Bozen-Salten-Schlern
    Kompass Guidebook WF953
    Kompass Verlag
    ISBN: 3-85491-406-7
  • Rund um Bozen
    Helmut Dumler
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-7633-4267-2