Viewing: 1-3 of 3
MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Aug 31, 2013 8:37 pm - Voted 10/10

camping

If you drive 1 mile up (~N) on the Swansea/(salt tram) road from Cerro Gordo, you will come to a saddle at ~8150'. There are a few campsites there, although the ground is a bit rocky. This is NOT mine property, and you can start directly up Pleasant Point from there, at first following some old mine roads.

I've driven up this road in a Subaru with just 7.3" clearance -- but I have skid plates. The center birm may be a little high for low-clearance vehicles, and the road is "off-camber" so you will slant out over the drop rather eerily. Don't be shy about telling passenhgers to get out and clear rocks; the trouble is, they may not be able to open the passenger-side door. Much of the road is made of sharp shards of rock; drive slowly, this is no place to change a tire.

The folks at Cerro Gordo mine now discourage people from parking any where near their property, and some folks have been ticketed for driving the road to the radio towers. Other folks have suggested that if I took the mine tour, or chose to sleep in one of the refurbished rooms, or even brought a sack of canned goods, I could get to park on the property.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Sep 1, 2013 12:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: camping

The guy who runs the town site went to the trouble to become an SP member a few years ago just so he could pm me to let me know the new restrictions on the prop. for the Cerro Gordo Peak page.
Use to more friendly 'round those parts!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Sep 4, 2013 4:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: camping

The site I used is one recommended by the former intense caretaker. I met a Cerro Gordo person at the fork for the Swansea/Salt Tram Rd, and she seemed happy to direct me to the saddle area.

It was not a big deal to get there with my Outback, but I definitely dinged the skid plates a few times, and I can see how it would scare the crap out of some people. It's a 1.5 mile (at most) drive to a fairly nice campsite. Trip Report

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Pleasant Point (Mountain)' main page