Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.86431°N / 78.35207°W
Additional Information County: Shenandoah / Warren
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1891 ft / 576 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Point 1891 is a local high point on a ridge in the George Washington National Forest, and is part of the Massanutten range.  It’s about 1.8 miles south-southwest of Little Crease Mountain and about 4.9 miles south-southwest of Point 2015.  The trailhead is about 16 miles from Strasburg, Virginia and about 18 miles from Front Royal, Virginia. 

This peak has no official name, and I climbed it initially just because I had noticed it on a topographic map and it would be a new peak for me.  It would also enhance my knowledge of the Massanutten area.  However, once I stood on top and explored even better vantage points just below, I realized the summit views alone made it a worthy destination.  I mentally added it to my “Yes, I would do it again” list.

Getting There

From the Washington, DC area:

Take 66 west, then exit 6 for 340 south toward Front Royal. 

After about 1.2 miles on 340, turn right (west) onto VA 55.

Drive 5.1 miles and turn left onto VA 678 / Fort Valley Road.

Drive 10.2 miles, then turn left (east) onto VA 774 / Veach Gap Road.

This becomes a good dirt road for about 0.8 miles, at the end of which there is a fairly spacious parking area.


Route

Route from the Veach Gap Trailhead:

This is an easy out-and-back hike in the Veach Gap area of the George Washington National Forest.

From the parking area, look for a closed gate and yellow blazes.  Pass the gate and head up the yellow-blazed Veach Gap Trail.

Veach Gap Trail
Veach Gap Trail

You will enjoy views of pretty Mill Run along the way.

Mill Run
Mill Run

In little over a mile, you’ll encounter a junction with the orange/blue-blazed Massanutten/Tuscarora Trail.  Turn right here.  


Trail Junction
Trail junction

In a few minutes you’ll pass the Little Crease Shelter.  Now just continue to follow the orange/blue blazes all the way to the ridge.  Along the way, the trail becomes an old, fairly steep and rocky wagon road.

Upon gaining the ridge top, turn right and ascend the first bump to the south.  That is Point 1891.  The summit is spacious and flat.  

Summit
Summit

Better views can be obtained by descending slightly to the east.  You'll see the meandering south fork of the Shenandoah River, and the Blue Ridge in the distance. 

Summit View
Summit view

Retrace your steps to return to the Veach Gap trailhead.  However, for a bonus peak, scramble up the steep but reasonably open east slopes of Peak 1653 on your way back, and then descend the mossy boulder-strewn north slopes to rejoin the Veach Gap Trail.  (Peak 1653 is the teardrop-shaped peak that forms the south side of Veach Gap.) 

Bonus Peak
Bonus peak - Peak 1653


North Slopes of Peak 1653
North slopes of Peak 1653


Welcome Sight
A welcome sight - rejoining the Veach Gap Trail

This hike is about 4.8 miles round trip, with a gain of about 1,000 feet.

Red Tape

Point 1891 and the described route are on public land inside the George Washington National Forest. There are no fees or permits required for hiking or camping in the immediate area.

When to Climb

Point 1891 can be climbed at any time of year.  Winter is best for summit views; fall is best for foliage.  Summer is arguably the worst, due to humidity and bugs.

Deer hunting with modern firearms is allowed in the George Washington National Forest in late November, so hiking in the area should be avoided then.

Information on Hunting

Camping

Camping is legal and free throughout the George Washington National Forest, except in the immediate vicinity of picnic areas and certain other locations.  The Elizabeth Furnace Recreation Area (about seven miles north of the Veach Gap trailhead on VA 678) has a large campsite with restrooms and picnic areas. Contact the Lee Ranger District for more information.

External Links

George Washington National Forest

The Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) maintains the trails in the Massanutten range, and offers maps, guidebooks and other information.

PATC Website

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Mar 19, 2018 2:08 am - Voted 10/10

Another route

It's also possible to reach Point 1891 from the Tuscarora Trail. Take Route 340 to Bentonville, where you make a right turn onto SR 613. Folllow SR 613 for 2.8 miles, then turn left onto a dirt road that leads to a parking lot. From here, hike up the blue-blazed Tuscarora Trail for 1.7 miles to the intersection with the Massanutten Trail. Turn left, and follow the Massanutten Trail to the summit.

hightinerary

hightinerary - Sep 15, 2020 7:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Another route

Belated thanks! I wasn't aware of that trailhead.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Massanutten MountainMountains & Rocks