Pointe d'Ar Pitetta

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.11120°N / 7.66640°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10278 ft / 3133 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Geographical classification: Western Alps >> Pennine Alps > Weisshorn group

This small mountain is a very nice point of view just in the middle of a lot big mountains like Les diablons 3609m, Tête de Milon 3693m, Bishorn 4153m, Weisshorn 4506m, Shalihorn 3974m, Pointes de moming 3963m, Zinalrothorn 4221m, Blanc de Moming 3638m and Besso 3668m.
They are some pure rock climbing routes on some piliers on its east side.

The classical South to East traverse is a nice not so technical travel on delicate rock ridges. Good for begineers to learn how to find a route in a wild environnement with instable rocks. At some place (on the N side of the east ridge) take care to touch delicately the rocks, if you don't want to have part of the mountain falling on you. At the end, You can go back to the hut and eat a nice "Assiette Valaisane" (cold plate) to the hut when finishing the trip...

Getting There


by car (highly recommended)

Rhone valley >> Sierre >> Val d'Anniviers road >> Zinal at the end of the road.

For those coming from oversea :
Fly to Geneva international airport. Car or train to Sierre (Rhone valley) , followed by Post bus to Zinal . Car highly recommended but not mandatory if you don't move at any hour.

General Situation Map

Swiss rails (SBB-CFF) time table


Routes overview - Hiking and mountaineering


hiking tour
This tour is a very nice hiking tour in an amazing place in the middle of some of the bigests mountains in the Alps.

Tour :
1/ From Zinal take the path to Tracuit Hut until you reach Point 2930m (3h30)
2/ Leave the Tracuit path for the wild mountain path to Col de Milon 2950m. Cables for the steep last 100m. Can be a little scarry for hikers when there is snow or ice.
3/ from Col de Milon small steep descent to Weisshorn Glacier moraine. Take the path on the moraine to Ar Pitetta hut 2786m
4/ Don't hesitate to eat a cold plate and drink at the hut, or better stay here for a night on the alps.
5/ descent from the Ar Pitetta hut to Ar Pitetta lake 2250m, 1h
6/ take the ascent path to Roc de la Vache 2581m (Nice point of view) 1h 15
7/ descent joining Tracuit hut path and down to Zinal 1h45

5bis/That is an otion to return to Zinal descending to Le Chiesso and Navissence valley (avoid Pas des Chasseurs option wich is a difficult path with cliffs and chains)


Summit traverse F . You have here the interest to search and find your route. This is the most classical way to go to the summit :

- From Ar Pitetta hut, take the path to Col de Milon until you reach the big moraine coming from Col de Milon.
- Leave the path and traverse under the south side of the mountain until you reach the SW ridge on a small path at 2800m.
- Climb (F) on the southern side slab until you reach the southern ridge with big gneiss blocs. Take the ridge to the summit
- Don't forget to take advantage of the view from the summit.
- Down climb the east ridge, (F) big blocks and bad rocks sometimes on the N side. You can leave the ridge just before Col de Milon and take the Moraine path to come back to Ar Pitetta hut

Red Tape


No red tape. Free parking at the end of the road, at the south of Zinal.
Free camping is forbiden is Switzerland.

When To Climb


The mountain is usually climbed during summer (June to september). If the rock is dry, it's possible to go in October but the hut will not be guarded.

Camping


Zinal camping site:

email: info@camping-zinal.ch
Tél. ++41 027 475 20 22
Fax : ++41 027 475 20 23
Adress: Camping Les Rousses - 3961 Zinal

You can find food and all you need in Zinal.


Mountain hut


Ar Pitetta Hut in Italien
Ar Pitetta Hut in french

Belongs to CAS La Dôle, 1260 Nyon
Phone: 027 475 40 28
Guard: : Carrard Jean-Daniel
Rue Trévelin 132 1170 Aubonne
Phone: 021 808 59 01

Mountain Conditions


Meteo Swiss

St Luc Webcam

Maps and books


Maps:

Val d'Anniviers Hiking map 1/25000 (Ok for mountaineering too)
easy to find in Zinal.

Landeskarten der Schweiz / Cartes nationale de la Suisse
1/25000 map Evolène number 1327
1/50000 map 283

Books:
Valais Alps Guide, CAS book number 3, from Col Collon to Theodulpass (exists in German and French)


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Val d'AnniviersMountains & Rocks