Viewing: 1-3 of 3
MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 20, 2009 10:11 am - Voted 10/10

Chicken Wire

Apparently this is a problem lots of places. When I was camping at Silver Bells Campground in the Maroon Bells this summer they had chicken wire available for each camp site. Apparently the porcupines are such a problem they had to resort to this. So every night we had to wrap the wire around the car. Now I wish I would have gotten a picture!

Larry V

Larry V - Sep 20, 2009 9:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Chicken Wire

Yeah, and don't leave your boots unprotected either. A porcupine ate all the leather off my dad's hiking boots, which he had stowed just outside the tent while camped in the Maroon Bells/Snowmass wilderness. Porcupines are a pain!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Dec 4, 2009 7:23 pm - Hasn't voted

But the real question is...

...how do Porcupines taste? Decent eating? ;)

I know the frustration of the nibbling critters. We had a pack rat eat through wires, belts and hoses right outside of our cabin. Bad way to start the morning.
Wife: Inserts key to ignition to start truck...truck starts, but rocks violently side-to-side.
Husband: Hops out of truck yelling "pop the hood!"
Husband: Starts throwing stuff off of engine block including pinecones, aspen branches and...mushrooms. Husband yells (censored) WTF?

...and so on.

Better luck next time, thanks for sharing your story.

Sarah

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Porcupine Hospitality' main page