Precipice Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.35080°N / 68.1941°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking with climbing ladders
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy Class 3 - ladders
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the "Getting There" section of the Champlain Mountain main page to see how to get to the Precipice Trail trailhead on the Park Loop Road.

Route Description


Those not comfortable with heights should not attempt this route as there is lots of exposure. That being said, this is very straight forward route. From the trailhead follow the trail and blazes up through the forest and boulder fields to the bottom of the east face cliffs. From the bottom of the cliffs follow the series of blazes, ledges and ladders to the summit. Great fun!

Essential Gear


Typical hiking gear is adequate for this route. Bring your camera and binoculars but don't bring your dog unless you want to carry them up each of the multiple ladders. Yes, I saw someone doing this!

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
cwoods17

cwoods17 - Oct 28, 2005 9:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

This trail has been closed several times because Perigrine Falcons nest here. Park rangers close the trail, but set up a telescope so you can see the baby falcons.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.