Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 49.16891°N / 19.48700°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Via Ferrata, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Prosiecka Dolina
Prosiecka Dolina
Prosiecka Dolina


The little mountain range of Chočské Vrchy, whose Veľký Choc is the highest top, is strewn with some deep gorges running from North to South.

Since the north of the Chočské Vrchy is a high elevated mountain plateau, and the surrounding ground is mostly made of limestone, water made its way through.
Kvačianska Dolina

Prosiecka Dolina,3.5km long, is the most famous of these gorges, with Kvačianska Dolina, for their size, but also because they are visitable by hiking trails.

Both together, they form a fine one-day loop. The little top of Prosečné, between them, can also be visited, for the fittests.

However, Prosiecka Dolina is very different than Kvačianska Dolina. It is a dry narrow valley, whose upper part is equiped with many scales and gateways, in order to ease the scamble for tourists. These equiments are quite reminiscent of those in the Rozsutec area or Slovak Paradise.
Prosiecka Dolina

Half-way down, the valley gets suddenly larger. There is a very high waterfall to visit at this spot, one hundred meters out of the trail, by a secondary trail (signs show it).

Later on, there is another spot where water surprisingly flows out of the ground at an amazing rate, to form a real river all at once from this very point. The limestone area of Chočské Vrchy hosts many geologic secrets...
Prosiecka Dolina

Prosiecka Dolina

As we get nearer the lower end, there is one narrow pass where a chain helps the tourist to scramble the right shore of the river on the rocky wall. After that, the Prosiecka gorge suddenly ends, giving place to the wide landscape of the Liptov valley.

Getting There

Depending on where you come from in Slovakia, you must reach Ružomberok (west), Dolný Kubín (north), or Liptovský Mikuláš (east)

Then, from Liptovský Mikuláš or Liptovský Michal (on the A1 Motorway), reach the village of Prosiek.

Those who want to base in the north side of this valley must arrive to Velké Borové, accessible from the road 584 in the direction of Zuberec, or even better, driving from Zuberec.

From Poland, cross the border at Zwardoń, Chyżne, or Rajcza/Novot.

By public transport, Prosiek, Kvačany and Velké Borové are served by bus.

Out of Kvačianska Dolina in Veľké Borové

Red Tape

Chočské Vrchy, in which this valley is located, is a national park. Hence, it is strictly forbidden to leave the marked trail.
Do not try to rockclimb cliffs made of loose limestone.
Do not wildcamp in this area, which also hosts many bears.

Accomodation

Out of Prosiecka Dolina in Prosiec


B&B and hostels

There are many cheap accomodations at the inhabitant in Prosiek, Kvačany and Velké Borové.
To find such places, type in Google a place name with "Ubytovanie" ("Accomodation"), you'll get a handful of results.
More accomodations are available as you get closer to Liptovský Mikuláš, but they also get more expensive. This can be explained partly with the proximity of the thermal water resorts of Bešeňová and Tatralandia (which, however, I recommend you to try once, after an exhausting hike :)

Campsites

ATC Liptovský Trnovec is located in Liptovský Trnovec, near Liptovský Mikuláš, on the shore of the big lake Liptovska Mara.

Fine traditional houses in Veľké Borové
Fine traditional houses in Veľké Borové
Fine traditional houses in Veľké Borové

Maps

The excellent online map of Chočské Vrchy on the site horskakoza.org :






Another map is available here :




Links

My page about Kvačianska Dolina and Prosiecka Dolina

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.