Punta Plattes des Chamois or Nant Cruet

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.53050°N / 6.99132°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 11844 ft / 3610 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This great mountain stretches on the ridge dividing and dividing the walloons of Valgrisenche Oriented to that of the Isère River in the French territory along the long chain that originandosi the Great Sassière down to the Central Valley of Dora Baltea decade where near the Village Liverogne of Arvier (805-776 meters). The same form for the main road important peaks of which are in an examination from South to North: Petite Sassière, Point of Nantcruet, Plattes des Chamois Point, Becca of Suessa, Becca de Pertcha, Pointe of Serrù or that of Maurin, the three Summits of Ormelune, Pointe de l'Archeboc, the Rocher Brune, Great Becca of Mont, Becca de Lac, Head of Rutor, Château Blanc, Doravidi South and North, the Flambeau flowing after Planaval Pass Group of Mount Paramont. From this point the watershed fold more towards Northwest elevating the progression Point Chenal, the two Beaks Black and White, Petit Paramont and Paramont same, where the ridge splits by sending a branch Northwest to the Mount Colmet and Becca Pougnenta that ends with the San Carlo Hill at the Tete d'Arpy, the second is directed instead to the Northeast to get up with the Point of the Crosatie, Bec Taillà and Tighet's or Tignet Towers and, finally, in the steep rocky slopes of the wooded Mount Colombo. Even the hills and very important steps wind along the same border ridge and with the same list as well as highlighting the most important and very famous Hill or Col of Fond, Col des Mines, Col Vaudet, Col du Lac Blanc, the very famous Col du Mont via continuous passage of armies since the time of the Romans for the transit to the Gauls and the scene of fierce battles in every age, Col de Reculaz, Col de la Sachère. The result of dividing the valleys of La Thuile and Valgrisanche with the crest bending moment to the East and then down again to the North Col de Saint Grat, Col of Ruitor or Rutor, Col du Château Blanc and Col Doravidi, Planaval Pass, Then from Mount Paramont, with the bifurcation of the ridge described above, a whole series of other crossings interior more or less important. More precisely, our mountain is among one of these hills or the famous Fond Hill and a small collar at an altitude of 3.305 meters above the secondary, after the elevation of the Point Nantcruet (3.510m), which separates it from Becca of Suessa. Beautiful panoramic 360° and the nearby Mount Pourri in France, in the West.
Questa grande montagna si allunga sulla cresta spartiacque e divisoria le valli di Valgrisenche ad Oriented a quella del Fiume Isère in territorio francese, lungo quella lunga catena che, originandosi dalla Grande Sassière scende fino alla Valle Centrale della Dora Baltea, dove decade nei pressi della Frazione di Liverogne in Comune di Arvier (805-776 metri). La stessa forma per strada cime importanti le principali delle quali sono in una disamina da Mezzogiorno a Settentrione: Petite Sassière, Punta di Nantcruet, Punta Plattes des Chamois, Becca di Suessa, Becca de Pertcha, Pointe del Serrù o detta di Maurin, le tre Vette dell'Ormelune, Pointe de l'Archeboc, la Rocher Brune, Gran Becca du Mont, Becca de Lac, Testa del Rutor, Chateau Blanc, Doravidi Sud e Nord, le Flambeau confluendo, dopo il Passo di Planaval nel Gruppo del Mont Paramont. Da questo punto lo spartiacque piega più verso Nordovest elevando in progressione la Pointe Chenal, le due Becche Nera e Bianca, il Petit Paramont ed il Paramont medesimo, dove la cresta si sdoppia inviando un ramo a Nordovest verso il Mont Colmet e, la Becca Pougnenta che si esaurisce con il Colle San Carlo presso la Tete d'Arpy; il secondo si indirizza invece a Nordest per rialzarsi con la Pointe de la Crosatie, Bec Taillà, Torre del Tighet o Tignet ed, infine, nelle ripidi pendici rocciose boschive del Monte Colombo. Anche colli e passi molto importanti si snodano lungo la medesima cresta di frontiera e con la medesima elencazione nonché evidenziando i più importanti e famosi: Col du Fond, Col des Mines, Col Vaudet, Col du Lac Blanc, il molto famoso Col du Mont via continua di passaggio di eserciti fino dal tempo dei Romani per il transito verso le Gallie e teatro di aspre battaglie in ogni epoca, Col de Reculaz, Col de la Sachère. I seguito a dividere le valli di La Thuile e Valgrisa con la cresta che piega momentaneamente verso Est per poi scendere nuovamente a Nord: Col de Saint Grat, Col du Ruitor o Rutor, Col du Chateau Blanc, Col Doravidi, Passo di Planaval, Poi dal Mont Paramont, con la biforcazione della cresta sopra descritta, tutta una serie di altri valichi interni più o meno importanti. Più precisamente la nostra montagna si colloca tra uno di questi colli famosi ovvero il Col du Fond ed un piccolo colletto secondario a quota 3.305 metri, dopo l'elevazione della Punta di Nantcruet (3.510 m), che lo separa dalla Becca di Suessa. Belle panoramiche a 360° e sul vicino Mont Pourrì in Francia, ad Occidente.

First Ascents

  • First on the summit (from S Arête): Giovanni Bobba with the Mountain Guide of Rhêmes, (Sep 02th, 1889) descent from Grande Sassière.
  • In winter: Unknown.
  • E Wall: Giovanni Bobba with the Mountain Guide of Rhêmes, (Aug 17/18th, 1889), in descent.
  • SE Ridge (from Fond Pass): W.A.B. Coolidge and Christian Almer son, (Sep 02th, 1889), descent to Becca of Suessa.
  • SW Face (from Ste-Foy of Tarentaise): J. Colas and E. Gaillard, (Sep 22th, 1923).
  • SW Slope and Ridge (from Ste-Foy): W.A.B. Coolidge and Christian Almer son, (Sep 02th, 1889), in descent.
  • NE Slope, Plattes of Chamois Glacier and NW Arête: Mario and Nunzia Borelli, A. De Petro and Pompeo Viglino, (Aug 23th, 1917), in descent.
  • Integral Arête (from Becca di Suessa to Grande Sassiere): Osvaldo Cardellina, Camillo Roberto Ferronato and Giuseppe Lamazzi, (Aug 24th, 1980).

Getting There

BY CAR:
  • From Torino, Milano, etc: Motorway A5. Exit at Aosta Ovest.
  • From Switzerland: through the Grand Saint Bernard Tunnel or the namesake Pass.
  • From France: through the Mont Blanc Tunnel or Petit Saint Bernard Pass: It is not necessary to take Motorway A5: you can drive on SS.26, in the direction of Leverogne.

 

BY PLANE:
  • Aeroporto Internazionale "Corrado Gex" Saint Christophe (Aosta).

Road Itinerary

From the City of Aosta (583m) follow SS.26 toward Mont Blanc. Once close to the Village of Leverogne (780m), turn left on the Regional Route for Valgrisenche. Pass many small Villages, including Rochefort, La Ravoire, Chamencon, La Bethaz, and the Town of Valgrisenche. Turn right for the Village of Bonne (1.810m) located near the huge dam that forms the Beauregard Reservoir. Past the small Village of Menthieu (1.842m), continue for approximately 5 km along the paved road, which follows the shore and leads to the old Pasture of Surier (1.758m) near the Village of Usellières (1.758m).
 
Dalla Città di Aosta (583 m) si percorre la SS.26 per il Monte Bianco e, giunti nei pressi dell'abitato di Leverogne (780 m), si imbocca sulla sinistra la Strada Regionale per la Valgrisenche, dopo aver superato le Frazioni di: Rochefort, La Ravoire, Chamencon, La Bethaz ecc. Dopo aver superato il capoluogo di Valgrisenche, proseguire sulla destra per la Frazione di Bonne (1.810 m) situata proprio di fianco all'enorme sbarramento artificiale che racchiude il Lago di Beauregard. Dopo aver superato il piccolo Villaggio di Menthieu (1.842 m), si prosegue per circa 5 km lungo la strada asfaltata che costeggio il lago e che porta al vecchio Alpeggio di Surier (1.758 m), vicino al Villaggio di Usellières (1.758 m).

Approach

From Usellières (1.758m), up to the no access sign (1.784m) and, boarding the Dora di Valgrisenche, cross the Tsâle (1.931m) Pastures to arrive to the Saxe de Savoie (2.036m) ones, pass a small bridge leading to the Saxe de Ponton (2.047m) Pastures, beyond the river; follow the stream up to the Alpe Vaudet and, after a spi, to the Rifugio Mario Bezzi (2.284m; 1h'45/2h'00). From the Refuge go toward NW, leaving on the left the path to Alpe Teppe (2.510m) under the Lac Vert (2.620m), up to the Torrent (strain) Grapillon; turning straight to the West along a plan that leads to Col (Pass) Vaudet (2.830m). More specifically, through the path n° 12D/12E up to the alternative 2.623m. After this, leaving to Northeast, or right, the second addressed to Comba du Rocher Blanc, continue with Northwest direction easily reaching the pass (1h'20/1h'40).
 
Punta Plattes des Chamois Tying  Great Crevassino  1980
 
Da Usellières (1.758 m), sino al cartello di divieto (1.784 m) e, costeggiando la Dora di Valgrisenche, si passa per l'Alpe Tsâle (1.931 m) per raggiungere quella di Saxe de Savoie (2.036 m), appena oltre un ponticello che porta a quella di Saxe de Ponton (2.047 m), al di là del fiume; continuare parallelamente a questo e pervenire all'Alpe Vaudet e, dopo un promontorio, al Rifugio Mario Bezzi (2.284m; 1h'45/2h'00). Dal rifugio risalire verso NW e, lasciata a ovest, la deviazione per l'Alpe Teppe (2.510 m), sottostante il Lac Vert (2.620 m), si prosegue fino al Torrent Grapillon; qui, volgendo ancora più ad ovest si percorre un pianoro che su nevati in falsopiano porta al Col Vaudet (2.830 m). Più nello specifico, tramite il sentiero n° 12D/12E insino al bivio 2.623 m. Dopo di questo, abbandonando a destra o Nordest la seconda diramazione indirizzata alla Comba du Rocher Blanc, si continua con direzione a Nordovest raggiungendo facilmente il passo (1h'20/1h'40).

Route

Reached the Hill, now follow the ridge toward South, along the moraine toward a characteristic standing alone rock, now straight on, along debris, to Quota 3.112m (cairn). Quickly down to the Col des Mines (3.043m), where you have to walk along the Suessa Glacier (you can also follow the ridge up to the Quota 3.308m). The steepness of the glacier is about 30°/35° till the final part (steeper) and, paying attention to the bergschrund, on sweet slopes to the Summit also called with the names of Pointe du Glacier or des Mines and in dialect of the Aosta Valley called Becca de Schuetse (3.420/3m around, relatively to various maps). From this, going South-southwest on the ridge to the limits of the two Superior des Balmes Glacier and Vaudet (to the West), easy access to snow moving gradually over bumps for quotas 3.355m, 3.336m, 3.305m snowy saddle, and from this, turning a little more towards the Southwest, the later quotas exceed 3.327m, 3.354m and 3.425m, above the junction to the West of the two branches of the glaciers were formerly appointed. With route, again, more to the South, and passing other two quotas 3.439m and 3.461m, easily and always on the snowy ridge of boundary Italian/French reach the Summit (0h'45 by Becca Suessa; 2h'00 from Vaudet Hill; 5h'00 from Bezzi Refuge).
Descent: Coming down is along the same route, or with the way ski-mountaineering, today quite fashionable (Route of 23 Aug 1917 by the group Borelli-De Petro-Viglino downhill!), via the North Ridge in the last 150 meters or even directly from the Peak, Glacier Plattes des Chamois and the Northeast Slope that, by means of a nice long descent run to over directly to the Refuge Mario Bezzi.
Punta Plattes des Chamois
Punta Plattes des Chamois
Punta Plattes des Chamois
Punta Plattes des Chamois
Traverse P. Plattes des Chmois to Becca of Suessa 1980
 
Dal colle seguire la cresta verso Sud risalendo la morena in direzione d'un caratteristico roccione isolato; da questo punto salire decisamente su sfasciumi alla Quota 3.112 m (segnale). Brevemente si scende al Col des Mines (3.043 m), ove inizia la salita sul Ghiacciaio di Suessa (si può restare sulla detritica cresta di confine sino alla Quota 3.308 m). La salita sul ghiacciaio varia dai 30° ai 35° ad eccezione del tratto finale leggermente più ripido (attenzione alla crepaccia terminale); poi per pendii più dolci si raggiunge la vetta della Becca di Suessa, chiamata anche con i toponimi di Aiguille du Glacier oppure Pointe des Mines ed in dialetto della Valle d'Aosta Becca de Schuetse (3.420/3 m). Da questa, procedendo verso Sud-sudovest sulla cresta spartiacque ai limiti dei due Glacier Superieur des Balmes e di Vaudet (ad Ovest), raggiungere facilmente su dossi innevati passando progressivamente per le quote 3.355m, 3.336m la sella nevosa 3.305 m; da questa, volgendo un poco di più verso Sudovest, superare le successive quote 3.327 m, 3.354 m e 3.425 m, soprastante la congiunzione ad Occidente dei due rami dei ghiacciai precedentemente nominati. Con percorso, nuovamente, più verso Sud e, passando altre due quote 3.439 m e 3.461 m, facilmente e sempre sull'innevato confine Italo/Francese raggiungere la Sommità (0h'45 dalla Becca di Suessa; 2h'00 dal Col Vaudet; 5h'00 dal Rifugio Bezzi).
Discesa: lungo la via di salita, oppure con la via sci-alpinistica, oggi alquanto di moda (Via del 23 Agosto 1917 da parte della comitiva Borelli-De Petro-Viglino in discesa!), tramite la Cresta Nord negli ultimi 150 metri od anche direttamente dalla Vetta, il Ghiacciaio Plattes des Chamois ed il Versante Nordest che, per mezzo di una bella e lunga discesa riportano più direttamente al Rifugio Mario Bezzi.

Difficulties

EEA/F+PD-.
 
EEA/F+PD-.

Gear

Classic for high mountain routes: rope, helmet, iceaxe, crampons.
 
Per percorsi di alta montagna: Corda, Casco, Picozza e ramponi.

Huts

 
Punta Plattes des Chamois

Campings

Remember that free camping is forbidden (except for emergency reasons, over 2.500m, from darkness until dawn).

Mountain Conditions

  • You can get meteo information at the official site of the Regione Valle d'Aosta:
  • Valle d'Aosta Meteo

Webcam

  • WEBCAM on Aosta Valley:
  • Webcam

Books and Maps

BOOKS:
  • "Guida delle Alpi Occidentali", di Giovanni Bobba e Luigi Vaccarone C.A.I. Sezione di Torino Volume II (parte II), 25 Maggio 1896.
  • "Guida dei Monti d'Italia–Alpi Graie Centrali" di Alessandro Giorgetta - Club Alpino Italiano/Touring Club Italiano, 1985 (in Italian).
  • "Diari Alpinistici" di Osvaldo Cardellina e Indice Generale accompagnato da Schedario Relazioni Ascensioni 1964-2019 (unpublished).
  • "Guida della Regione Autonoma Valle d'Aosta" di Mario Aldrovandi, Ed. S.P.E. di Carlo Fanton, Torino 31 Dicembre 1964.
MAPS:
  • Kompass "Gran Paradiso Valle d'Aosta Sentieri e Rifugi", Carta turistica 1:50.000.
  • L'Escursionista "Valgrisenche Val di Rhêmes", Carta dei sentieri (n° 3) 1:25.000.
  • Enrico Editore Ivrea-Aosta "Gruppo del Gran Paradiso" 1:50.000.
  • I.G.C. Istituto Geografico Centrale Torino "Il Parco Nazionale del Gran Paradiso", 1:50.000.

Important Information

Useful numbers

  • Protezione Civile Valdostana località Aeroporto n° 7/A Saint Christophe (Ao) Tel. 0165-238222.
  • Bollettino Meteo (weather info) Tel. 0165-44113.
  • Unità Operativa di Soccorso Sanitario Tel. 118.