Puy de la Tourte

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.12478°N / 2.67311°E
Additional Information County: Cantal
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5591 ft / 1704 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Puy de la Tourte (1.704m)Puy de la Tourte

The Puy de la Tourte (1.704m) isn’t a very important mountain because is surrounded for other higher summits, but if you come to Pas de Peyrol to visit the famous Puy Mary (1.783m) probably you decide to climb it. The reason is very simple, in the Puy Mary you have a lot of people but in the other side of the road you can’t see anybody climbing this peak. The walk-up to the summit is short, about 30 minutes, and you can enjoy of the loneliness of a summit with great landscape out of the hordes of tourists. The landscape is greater from the summit of Puy Mary of course and it’s a good to climb both summits in about 2 hours.

Getting There

Puy de la Tourte (1.704m)Pas de Peyrol

Clermont-Ferrand is an important city with highways from the main cities of France.
-North: A71 from Paris
-East: A72 from Lyon
-South: A20-A89 from Toulousse
-West: A89 from Bordeaux.

Murat
-From North (Clermont-Ferrand): A75 to exit 23 (Aurillac/Le Lioran). N-122 to Murat.
-From the South (Montpellier): A75 to exit 29 (Aurillac). D-909 and D-921 to St Flour and D-926 to Murat.

Pas de Peyrol

In the exit of Murat yo can see a lot of signals to Puy Mary and the col de Peyrol with a parking always with a lot of cars on summer. On winter the road is closed.

Red Tape

The park of Volcans d’Auvergne has rules about wildlife, camping,… the most important to mountaineers and hikers is the respect to the paths. Walking out of path is forbidden.
The col de Peyrol has always a lot of people on summer, you must have patience to park the car somedays, maybe the first hours of the day are the better time.
On winter season the road is closed but you can make ski cross-county to Pas de Peyrol and the summit.

Camping

The free-camping is forbidden.
You has a lot of lodges, campings and hotels in all the area around Le Mont-Doré. If you want to visit the Monts du Cantal in the same holidays maybe it's a good option the area around Issoire (less of 1h by car to both massifs) or Clermont-Ferrand.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Volcans d' AuvergneMountains & Rocks
 
The CantalMountains & Rocks