PYG Track

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 53.07206°N / 4.08005°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Mostly easy walking which steepens markedly towards the end
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The PYG Track, which is approximately 5km long is one of the most popular routes on Snowdon. It starts at Pen y Pass and shares the same first leg as the Snowdon Horseshoe. It separates from this route at the base of Crib Goch and traverses around the mountains southern slope before ascending steeply up the side of Garnedd Ugain to Bwlch Glas. There are three alternative theories regarding the routes name, the first of which is that it comes from a col it passes through which is named Bwlch y Moch (Pass of the Pigs); the second of which states it represents the initials of the Penygwryd Hotel whose guests used the path to get to Snowdon's Cliffs; and the third theory is that it is attributed form pyg the Welsh word for the mining pitch used in the copper mine, and hence the route used to get to them.

Getting There

The starting point for PYG Track is the Pen y Pass car park (SH 647 555) at the zenith of the Pass of Llanberis, which can be reached easily by road on the A4086 that runs between Llanberis (SH 582 598) and Capel Curig (SH 719 580).

Owing to the popularity and sheer number of routes that start here the Pen y Pass car park often fills up quickly so if you want to park there a very early start is recommended. Luckily there are other options, the first of these is an excellent park and ride which runs regularly all day (including weekends and bank holidays) from Nant Perris (SH 607 582). The second option is the Snowdon Sherpa bus service which has various stops around the mountain and runs from Llanberis, Bettws y Coed, Caernarfon, Beddgelert, Bethesda and Porthmadog. Be sure to check timetables first as you don't want to end up missing the last bus and find yourself stuck, of course in these situations hitching is always and option.

Near the start of the PYG...Near the start of the PYG Track (Photo by markradford)

Route Description

Llynoedd yr WyddfaThe upper section of the PYG Track

Starting from the heights of the Llanberis Pass, the PYG Track is a popular and short route to the summit with superb views over Glaslyn (Blue Lake) and Llyn Llydaw. Despite its popularity, you should not forget that poor conditions can make this route hazardous, especially at the notorious Zig-Zags on the upper section. The path starts from the car park at Pen y Pass and follows a well-defined route towards Snowdon's summit. To begin with the route follows the same path as the Snowdon Horseshoe leaving the Pen y Pass car park from its northern gate. It roughly follows the contours of The Horns, gently climbing its slopes to Bwlch y Moch where it bares left and diverges from the Horseshoe route by crossing over a set of twin styles. There are some fantastic views to be had from this spot with the cliffs of Y Lliwedd rising up in the west and Llanberis Pass and the Glyderau in the East. From here the route climbs gradually along the south slope of Crib Goch and Crib y Ddysgl. The path is mostly in good condition but in places crosses boulder fields and boggy ground, however these difficulties are not great and are easily overcome.

From Llyn Glaslyn the route becomes much steeper and zigzags up the southern slope of Garnedd Ugain up to Bwlch Glas. The path gets much rockier here and in wet weather some care is needed on the steeper sections, particularly when the route is busy (which it often is). Bwlch Glas is marked by an upright stone monolith here the route joins the Llanberis Path and turns left climbing a further 100m or so to Snowdon's summit.


Essential Gear

Just a good pair of boots, waterproofs and some lunch. If walking in winter make sure you also carry an ice axe and crampons.

Maps

Open Space Web-Map builder Code
Navigation Maps

OS 1:25k Explorer Series OL 17 Snowdon/Yr Wyddfa

OS 1:50k Landranger Series 115 Snowdon/Yr Wyddfa

Harvey Map Services 1:25k: Snowdonia North: Snowdon, Glyders, Carnedds

Harvey Map Services 1:25k: Snowdon

Harvey Map Services/BMC 1: 40k British Mountain Map: Snowdonia North

Road Maps

OS Travel Map 10 Wales/Cymru & West Midlands

Guidebooks

External Links

Snowdon ViewLlyn Llydaw (Photo by Phillip Stasiw)

Government Bodies and Official Organisations

Snowdonia National Park Authority

Council for National Parks

Association of National Park Authorities

Natural Resources Wales

CADW

Royal Commission on Ancient & Historical Monuments in Wales

Gwynedd Archaeological Trust

Snowdonia Society

The National Trust

Hiking, Climbing and Mountaineering Organisations and Companies

British Mountaineering Council

The Climbers’ Club

UKClimbing

Plas y Brenin National Mountain Centre

Snowdonia-Active.com

Hightreck Snowdonia

Weather

Mountain Weather Wales

Weather from the Met Office

BBC Weather

Tourist Information

Visit Wales

North Wales Tourism Partnership

Local Information from Gwynedd.com

Local Information from Snowdonia Wales Net

North Wales Index

Travel

Welsh Public Transport Information

UK Train Timetable

Accommodation

Youth Hostel Association in Wales

Pete's Eats

Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel

Maps and Guidebooks

Ordnance Survey

Harvey Map Services

Cicerone Guidebooks

Climbers’ Club Guidebooks

Rockfax

North Wales Bouldering

Cordee Travel and Adventure Sports Bookshop

Wildlife and Conservation

Joint Nature Conservation Committee

Natur Gwynedd

North Wales Wildlife Trust

Royal Society for the Protection of Birds




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.