Queenstown Hill

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.00851°S / 168.69284°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2976 ft / 907 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Basket of DreamsBasket of Dreams
Basket of DreamsBasket of Dreams poem

Queenstown Hill rises 500 meters above the town and provides spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and lake. Queenstown Hill is also known as Te Tapu-nui or "mountain of intense sacredness". This track is a great choice if you are short on time or not looking for anything too challenging. Near the top there is an interesting piece of artwork called the "Basket of Dreams". The basket is a spiral of metal on a stone foundation. An enscribed plaque is located nearby with a poem from the artist. Further up the hill you will be rewarded with great views of the surrounding mountains. From this vantage point you can look over the lake and down into town.
Remarkables and BasketBasket of Dreams

Getting There

The track begins from the parking area on Belfast St. When driving through into or out of town you will see brown signs pointing uphill. These signs will direct you to the parking area.

Route Overview

While Queenstown hill has only one route there are many variations. The views from the summit area are spectacular for this fun, short walk. Depending on route variation and ability this track takes 2-3 hours.

Queenstown Hill Track: This track quickly climbs up the steep slope. The track is well maintained and easy to follow. There are a few places where you can vary this route but they all end up at the same place. Following the green and yellow posts up you will find yourself on a summit where most people turn around. The true summit is actually down the dirt road and can be seen in the distance.

Views from the summit:
ViewsLooking North
ViewsRemarkables and the peninsula

True SummitTrue Summit viewed from the false summit
ContemplationContemplation

Red Tape

This track crosses private land. Please keep on the track and do not disturb any livestock you may see.

External Links

Local weather: Queenstown, New Zealand


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Southern AlpsMountains & Rocks