Ra'm canyon / Rám-szakadék

Ra'm canyon / Rám-szakadék

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 47.74740°N / 18.90009°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

In summersome ladders help us in the canyon

The name of the canyon is "Rám-szakadék" in Hungarian. The Ram-Canyon is a narrow valley known as "Three springs valley" that is pinched in the block of Ram mountain, and because of the location it is amazing and one of the most frequented valleys in this area. During the prehistoric age the assembled rainwater carved deep valley into the mountain created the Ram-Canyon. The canyon could be travelled out with a bit of care. You can find many kinds of different volcanic layers in the narrow and steep valley.
The canyon is about 1.2km long.
The best time to visit this place is a dry period in summer. The canyon can be dangerous. Some people have been seriously injured in this place. Flash floods might occur, so watch the weather forecast. In winter there is not problem about flash floods, but it is slippery, mostly on ladders. So be careful every time.

In an unwritten tradition says that the Earth’s heart’s force center is near the canyon .

Getting There

In summerUpper prat of the canyon

From Budapest follow the secondary national road No 11. First you reach Szentendre, after some litle village like Visegrad. Next to Danube bend reach Dömös. From this village you have to follow the green signed track (first: red, yellow,green) to the canyon (about 2.5km from the village).
Mouth of the canyon is about 3km form Dömös. There is a little spring where you can fill your bottle.
The top end of the canyon is usually approached from Dobogókõ.
Dobogókő: from Budapest you have to use national road No 10, you have to choose the way to Pilisszentlászló (and Pilisszentkereszt, Dobogókő) in Pilisvörösvár. (It is about 36km from Budapest)

Camping and accomodations

Camping in Dömös:
Well equiped camping with
- 18 hot showers, 18 toilettes, wash basins
- laundry tubs, washing machines
- cooking facilities
- electrical hook-ups for caravans
- swimming pool, and small pool for children, childrens play area
- restaurant, billiard room with snack bar, TV room with satellite
Open: 1. May - 15. September
Tel: +36-33-482-319 (from 01.05.until 15.09.)
Hostel in DobogókőEötvös Lóránd hostel

Eötvös Lóránd hostel in Dobogókő:
Open: 1. January - 31. December
Telefon: +36-26-347534
Fax: +36-26-347534








Map

You can buy a map about this area.
PILIS, VISEGRA'DI-HEGYSE'G TURISTATE'RKE'P
Touring Map
1:40000
ISBN: 963 353 116 0 CM
On this map you can find so many beautiful hiking tracks in this area.

External Links

About hikeing Map
If you follow this link you can find Ra'm-canyon near to the arrowhead.
Camping in Dömös
Accomodations in Dobogo'ko"

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
dmiki

dmiki - Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm - Hasn't voted

More info

- The name of the canyon is "Rám-szakadék" in Hungarian. - Getting There: The top end of the canyon is usually approached from Dobogókõ. - The canyon can be dangerous. Some people have been killed or seriously injured in this place. Flash floods might occur, so watch the weather forecast. - Red tape: a few years back the canyon used to be 'closed' (big warning signs put up everywhere) in winter due to the objective dangers. I'm not sure what the current situation following the upgrade of the old rusty chains to the new handrails and ladders is.

Sene

Sene - Feb 22, 2008 10:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: More info

Thank you for this little help.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.