Rabbit Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 44
minglefest

minglefest - Apr 13, 2022 2:51 pm Date Climbed: Mar 1, 2018

Hardest hike ever  Sucess!

We did this as an overnight. WAY harder than cactus to clouds. I practically crawled back to my vehicle. Could barely walk.

Candace66

Candace66 - Mar 24, 2022 3:35 pm Date Climbed: Mar 12, 2022

Day hike via DPS B route  Sucess!

Solo day hike via the DPS B route from the west, beginning/ending at the foot of Coyote Mountain. Quite a slog! Glad I finally made it, but I doubt I'd put in the effort again via any route. Please see my detailed trip report & GPX at Peakbagger .com or ListsOfJohn .com!

IronHiker

IronHiker - May 30, 2019 11:08 am Date Climbed: May 24, 2019

East ridge with Henry Chen  Sucess!

East ridge up, down a ridge below Villager to pick up Zosel BM, Crab BM, and Dawn BM. Underestimated descent time, 7 hours up, 13 hours down.

Trip report.

gimpilator

gimpilator - May 5, 2017 12:40 pm Date Climbed: Mar 6, 2017

Day Hike Villager-Rabbit-Mile High-Rosa Point-Marble-Pyramid  Sucess!

This was part of a month long solo peakbagging trip in which I hiked every day and got 70 peaks in 30 days. I started with Villager, went over to Rabbit, and then came back to run the ridge over the other peaks. It took 15.5 hours.

For numerous photos and brief route descriptions see the trip report.

jdmorehouse

jdmorehouse - Jan 20, 2015 1:57 pm Date Climbed: Jan 18, 2015

Day Hike  Sucess!

I left the S-22 TH at 5:05 a.m., Villager next, the out along the bumpy ridge to Rabbit. I was back at Villager by three o'clock, head lamp on by 5:30. There was absolutely no moon, so crossing the desert floor in total darkness (except for the beam of the head lamp) was an adventure. Fortunately, I had a real compass and a gps, as the area is crisscrossed with washes and ravines. The weather was perfect. I'd do this one again.

orbitor

orbitor - May 7, 2013 7:15 pm Date Climbed: Feb 23, 2013

From S22 via Villager  Sucess!

Infamous Rabbit taunts no more. Came back more determined than ever after turning around 3.5 years before. Rolled over Villager, then powered through the bump roller-coaster. After so much anticipation, the views at the summit sucked (obscured by vegetation). Back on the bump roller-coaster and the endless descent to S22. Redemption!

lzpup

lzpup - Feb 19, 2012 9:46 pm Date Climbed: Feb 17, 2012

Rabbit and Villager  Sucess!

Great hike , buddy from work and I did a 2 day. Camped at villager and then hit rabbits. Lots of snow on top 3-4 inches a list with drifts a lot higher. Good thing since I ran low on water. 8 liters was not enough. I would bring 9-10 liters if I was not sure of snow.

Wild

Wild - Mar 17, 2011 4:31 am Date Climbed: Mar 5, 2011

Awesome hike!  Sucess!

Really cool hike, great views.. made it all the way to Rabbit!

cab

cab - Mar 14, 2011 12:31 pm Date Climbed: Mar 12, 2011

S-22  Sucess!

Dayhike from S-22. Nice hike with a slightly cool breeze that kept the temperature perfect all day. Saw a large Sierra Club group (20-25 people) heading up while I was on the way down from Villager.

asmrz

asmrz - Jan 24, 2011 1:18 pm

My first desert summit in 1977  Sucess!

John Orange, George Ivy and I hiked up the long ridge of Rabbit from Salton Sea area in spring of 1977. Rabbit was my first desert summit ever. What an unusual terrain for someone who grew up among pine trees,alpine meadows and rock towers. For a while, I was not sure what the desert hiking experience was about, but many years of desert rambling followed.

Michael Graupe

Michael Graupe - Jan 4, 2011 5:55 pm Date Climbed: Dec 31, 2010

East-west traverse  Sucess!

Great New Year's Eve hike. Started from the citrus grove (Fillmore Ave) and just aimed for the bottom of the E-ridge. After ~45min picked up the ducked route where the white rocks are still in place. The ridge is steep and relentless and made for a great work-out with grand views all around. Temperature was way below freezing on top with rime ice covering trees and shrubs. Quickly traversed over to Villager and descended the south ridge to S-22. 9h 50min CTC.

labgloves

labgloves - Dec 20, 2010 1:10 pm Date Climbed: Dec 18, 2010

South Ridge over Villager  Sucess!

Stormy day in the desert - but mostly dry on the ridge. Great hike.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Dec 5, 2010 6:28 pm Date Climbed: Dec 4, 2010

Fom s22 over Villager  Sucess!

Except for complete lack of Moon, conditions were perfect; cool, slight overcast until the descent. As a dayhike took 11h15m; I was motivated to get back to the car before dark. Had a sprained ankle and groin pull to start, and miraculously, both conditions seemed alleviated by the time I hit Rabbit.

There are 7 little lumps between Villager and Rabbit; they aren't oppressive, but they are a bit annoying on the way back.

This must have been a brutal hike when first added to the DPS list. You can see where branches have been trimmed, and the faint use trail is carefully routed around the worst thickets with simple but effective ducks. Plus a fire has cleared a good expanse of brush. Someone even put reflective dots on some bushes.

Doug6100 - Jul 2, 2010 7:56 pm

Toro to Rabbit

Actually haven't done this yet. I was hoping to do this early next spring from Toro to Rabbit to Villager and down to desert. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the conditions are like between Toro and Rabbit (besides being hot and dry most of the time). Any thoughts

sdhager

sdhager - May 26, 2010 5:08 am Date Climbed: May 25, 2010

Via Villager Peak  Sucess!

What a great May Day! Temperature was perfect. Awesome views of Salton Sea!

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Mar 14, 2010 9:26 pm Date Climbed: Mar 13, 2010

East Ridge  Sucess!

Up the east ridge from the lemon grove. Thought it would be nice to summit a peak from below sea level. Very nice hike up the ridge but the 3+ miles across the boulders from the TH to reach the ridge is a drag- especially on the way back. I think via Villager may be the better route- as most seem to have already figured out...

kevin trieu

kevin trieu - Feb 28, 2010 8:44 pm Date Climbed: Feb 25, 2010

from Villager  Sucess!

great hike in the Socal desert. came from Villager. 12.5 c2c.

weeds19

weeds19 - Oct 25, 2009 12:51 pm Date Climbed: Oct 24, 2009

A Great Oct Day  Sucess!

Doing this in two days would really be punishment. I carried about 200 oz for my day trip and that really wasn't enough on this day that reached the low 90s in Temp. Having to carry enough water for two days and a night would push that number much higher and thus add a lot of weight.

The roller coaster ridge was actually enjoyable because of the spectacular views of the dry (and should be dry... Salton) lake beds.

jflo

jflo - Sep 17, 2009 6:06 pm Date Climbed: Jan 31, 2009

Via Villager  Sucess!

RIP little toenail.

Ze

Ze - May 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: Via Villager

yeah its definitely around 8500' cumulative gain!

Viewing: 1-20 of 44
Return to 'Rabbit Peak' main page