Rauchtal

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.61056°N / 15.12389°E
Additional Information Route Type: ski ascent
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 30-35°
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The approach to Bodenbauer is described on the main page.

Route Description

Great ascent to Zagelkogel or Hochwart in a wild rocky landscape. From Bodenbauer to NW following the marked trail. On the first junction take the right trail. The marking leads under the Hundswand and 5 minutes thereafter a steep slope to a break in the forest in Trawiestal, created by a big avalanche. After that, turn left. Through the steep forest (no marking) on the right side of the narrow valley (looking up) you get to the slope leading to Rauchtal.

After passing the narrow part between Beilstein and Stangenwand, look out for possible falling cornices and avalanches coming from the slope in NW. Ice- and stonefall from Beilstein on the left side.

At Rauchtalsattel, most people head to Hochwart (N) and Zagelkogel (E). It is also possible to get to the Hochschwab main summit, but the view is not more spectacular and the route rather boring with ski.

The last part of the ascent to Zagelkogel, a north slope, may be hard and icy even in April. That's why you took the crampons with, didn't you?

Essential Gear

Ski, ski crampons, avalanche gear.

Downhill

Follows the ascent, below Rauchtal constantly quite steep and very nice. Even steeper but short the narrow slope between Beilstein and Stangenwand. Experienced skiers can ski down the Zagelkar (up to 45°).

Best time

March, April, May, stable snow conditions needed. Because the slopes look to south-east, the snow gets soft early.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.