Viewing: 1-19 of 19
rpc

rpc - Sep 26, 2003 11:02 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Dean,

just been inspired. Think we'll try to give this one a shot before the snows arrive! Love to explore these unknown corners of our beautiful state!



Your quest to bag all the county highpoints has really taken you to some amazing corners of Oregon (I belive you and Bob are trying for both OR and WA county highpoints, is that right?).



I think I saw this peak (a hike in the area anyway) in one of the guidebooks.....it might be mentioned in D. Lorain's Backpacking Oregon book?

Dean

Dean - Sep 26, 2003 11:08 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Radek, thanks for taking the time to check this out and for the 4star rating. I still have a lot of work to do on this page but I appreciate the head's up on the book. I haven't been able to find this listed in the ones I have.



I'm heading for Sacajawea tonight to pick it up along with summitpost member Cornvallis and when I do so I'll be able to get it off my back. Bob and I have really enjoyed the highpoints as we've explored almost every corner of Oregon and Washington. Bob has two more (after today) of Washington left, a major accomplishment in my eyes. He is going after Big Horn, high point of Lewis county (WA).



If you get interested in this "Crazy" county stuff, check out www.cohp.org for more info. I really got hooked.



Anyway, I always appreciate your kind remarks and support.



Dean

rpc

rpc - Sep 26, 2003 11:13 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Thanks Dean. Don't quite add that book yet - I'll check it out tonight at home (I could be really wrong about this) and will let you know if it's in there. How many counties in OR and WA? How long have you guys been at it? It's definitely the kind of "crazy" that I like!!!!!



Looks like we're all going to have a great weather this weekend. Thinking of going up Mt. Daniel in WA.

Dean

Dean - Sep 26, 2003 11:20 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

OK on the book. 36 counties in Oregon, I was hoping to get them all but a fire closure shut me down in two of them and I missed the opportunity to climb Jefferson with Bob back in August, a week before the big fires. So my total is 29, with 7 to go, 3 of which I'll get before the year is out.



Washington has 39 CoHp's and only one person has done them all. Bob has 36 (37) and I have 25. Washington is a little tougher considering the need to climb Rainier, Baker, Glacier Peak, Bonanza, Big Horn, Mt. Stone, Mt. Adams, Gypsy and Abercrombie Peaks in NE Wa. BUT, what a blast. I've been working on these just in 2003 except for Rainier which I got prior to starting this stuff.



I know you'd love it Radek, it is addicting and educational. You learn so much about each state as you do this. Whew,,,,,sorry to rattle on. I must be converted to it ; )



Dean

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Sep 26, 2003 4:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

18 miles! YIKES! In a day? Sheesh! You get four stars just for that! Good job on the page. The slag heap-great name for a pile of rocks! HA!

Dean

Dean - Sep 26, 2003 5:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

18 miles isn't unheard of to get county highpoints in Oregon / Washington. Eagle Cap was a 20 miler in one day, Sacajawea is a 15 miler and to get the high point of Marion county on the shoulder of Mt Jefferson, a 16 miler. Mt Adams is 16 miles round trip, etc Not bragging but if you don't want to backpack all your gear in, then round tripping is the only way to go. Good for the fitness and losing weight (both goals of mine)



Another thoughtful name for Red Mtn was "pile of cra_" but I'll leave that one off.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Sep 26, 2003 5:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Long mileage days just don't cut it aymore. My feet just won't put up with the pounding. All that mileage you rattled off there makes'em hurt and I'm sitting at my desk!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 7, 2003 2:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Ah, I found it! Glad you added this page. I look forward to doing this one eventually.

Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Oct 16, 2003 9:05 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page, Dean. I almost missed it because of the common name. Brings back good memories of living in that part of the country.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Dec 10, 2003 3:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page Dean. Looks like it would be a great hike.

Kieran

Kieran - Feb 6, 2004 6:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great photos!

drm519 - Feb 27, 2004 10:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

great page

Popoff - Apr 7, 2004 1:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Lots of great information and photos.

William Marler

William Marler - May 13, 2004 8:38 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice job. Cheers William

nader

nader - Aug 24, 2004 9:50 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice page. Hate to have to regain 600 ft on the way back.

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 23, 2004 11:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Just happened to be browsing and found your page. Nice job and one of the few I've never heard of! I've thought of doing the Wallowas from the south and this would be a good peak to bag on the way. Thanks for your work.



Don

wildstar

wildstar - Nov 19, 2004 10:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page.

Klenke

Klenke - Dec 28, 2004 8:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Dean, I accidentally added CA's The Doodad to the OR County Highpoints list because you mistyped 2247 for 2277. You will need to manually add Red Mountain to the OR Cohp group. Thanks.



Nice page, by the way.

Cornvallis

Cornvallis - Mar 18, 2005 12:52 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Ahhhhhhh th Wallowas, gotta get back there

Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Return to 'Red Mountain (OR)' main page