Viewing: 1-10 of 10
gimpilator

gimpilator - Sep 14, 2015 1:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Bravo!

I think I saw this peak from the top of Columbia. I have heard very accomplished peakbaggers speak of it with a sort of reverence and mystique. I'm guessing you saw names in the register like Stefan Feller, Mike Collins, and Grant Meyers, am I right? It's really impressive to see tough objectives like this represented on summitpost. Congratulations on getting this peak and thanks for the route description.

kevinsa

kevinsa - Sep 14, 2015 3:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bravo!

Thanks - we never did find a register. Just about tore the summit apart looking for it. We left behind a small Altoid tin to serve as temporary register. If you decide to go for this one, don't wait too long. The road is in ok shape now, but I shudder to think about what it will look like in ten years.

Klenke

Klenke - Sep 14, 2015 3:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bravo!

I'll take a real register up there when I take Adam up there with me! And that better be soon before the road goes the way of the dodo. Otherwise, horizontal bushwhacking followed by vertical bushwhacking followed by horizontal bushwhacking followed by a 3-month stay in a mental hospital.

kevinsa

kevinsa - Sep 14, 2015 6:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bravo!

Sounds good - please leave the Altoid tin where you find it. I'm gonna register it soon as Washington State's toughest geocache.

Klenke

Klenke - Sep 14, 2015 11:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bravo!

...and smallest geocache!

Redwic

Redwic - Sep 16, 2015 8:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bravo!

Just remember... if you use the geocaching.com standards, you are supposed to go back and check on it within a few years. ;-)

Redwic

Redwic - Sep 16, 2015 8:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Great page and peak!

This peak has been on my radar for many years, although I have yet to visit it. I am curious which "six known ascents" you are referring to, and where you got that information.

Stefan Feller once told me that this was one of the worst bushwhacks he had ever done.

kevinsa

kevinsa - Sep 17, 2015 2:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page and peak!

I based it on the trip report linked below (from 2000). Stefan's partner stated that the original register was found, with entries from 1958, 1971, and 1990. I think the Collins party was 2002. If anyone else has been up there since then, I have not heard about it. I'll correct my page if I get any new information. Interesting side note - Stefan told me he didn't remember there being a register on the summit.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/tripreport-2000060310

kevinsa

kevinsa - Sep 17, 2015 1:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page and peak!

Here's a couple more for you - took me a long time to dig these up!

http://howbert.com/cgi-bin/report.pl?reportid=124&peakname=Red%20Mtn.&quadname=Mt.%20Stickney

http://howbert.com/cgi-bin/report.pl?reportid=125&peakname=Red%20Mtn.&quadname=Mt.%20Stickney

Redwic

Redwic - Sep 17, 2015 11:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page and peak!

While I was growing up in Gold Bar, I had heard of at least two ascents during the 1980s, but I cannot recall/confirm who or when. Someone once told me that Bob Dreisbach (author of "Seattle Outdoors") had summited the peak decades ago; he might even be one of the entries (1958, 1971) that were in the original register.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Red Mountain (Spada)' main page