Red Rocks Dr (Mt. Herman east) Trailhead

Red Rocks Dr (Mt. Herman east) Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.08170°N / 104.9263°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow main page instructions to the Mt. Herman road. As you drive up Mt. Herman road from the east, look for the Y-intersection on the road where it splits to Red Rocks drive. This is the point before the road swings south across the face of Mt. Herman as described by the page author. This road is in good condition and easily navigated by any vehicle. Approximately 100 feet after the turn on Red Rocks drive, there is a dirt parking area on the right side of the road. Park here. The trailhead is on the west side of the road and is only marked by a forest service marker; there is no number that I saw associated with this trail.


Route Description


Start up the west trailhead headed directly west. The trail is in great shape at this point and easy to follow directly west toward the North Ridge of Mount Herman. Raspberry Mountain (this is not the same Raspberry Mountain that is detailed on Summitpost near Divide, CO) is immediately to the north of Mt. Herman and this trail heads up into the saddle between the two mountains. Approximately half mile up the trail is a large memorial cross to a young man. The trail continues beyond this point and is easy to follow and a pleasant gentle climb through the forest. Continue to follow this trail until it makes an obvious split. The north fork heads in the direction of Raspberry Mountain and the south heads toward Mt. Herman. I followed the south fork which heads toward the summit of Mt. Herman. The trail eventually petered out into a rock and brush scramble up the north ridge of Mt. Herman. The upper half of this hike is a bushwhack, but it is easy to find your way to the summit by sticking to the ridge. If there is a better approach to the summit from the east, I did not see it. I do not know where the north fork of the trail (that headed toward Raspberry mountain) went. The approach was not difficult, just steep at parts. Once the Mt. Herman ridgeline is met, you need to walk southbound on the ridge to the actual summit. I did not see a summit log. At the summit, you can choose to return the way you came or do what I did and follow the Trail #716 trail off the west side of Mt. Herman as described on this site. At the #716 trailhead, you will need to follow the Mt. Herman road the approximately three miles back to the east trailhead to return to your vehicle.

Essential Gear


Normal hiking equipment

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.