Refuge d'Espingo

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.71014°N / 0.48475°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: F (Fácil, Easy)
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

LuchonMap of area

The route from the Refuge d'Espingo is the most frequented to climb Spijeoles, but it's not easy to follow in some places.

Getting There

See the main page to approach to trailhead in Granges d'Astau.

The first day we walked to Refuge d'Espingo. It's an easy walk-up across paths in 2 hours from Astau without problems of orientation across the Lac d'Oô.

Route Description

We'll begin in the Refuge d’Espingo (1960m) in the path in direction to Refuge du Portillon. We'll leave the path before the cross of the bridge of Coum de l’Abesqué (2095m). The path is signalled with cairns to SW and go in direction to Lad Glacé. It's a good ramp with hard slope. Some channels are the key to don't walk over great falls. We'll entry in the area of great blocks of stone. The Tusse de Montarcqué is in left side and we'll see Spijeoles in right side. Walking between the two peaks we'll turn a little over the Lac Glacé (it's not necessary to reach the lake). After a walk among more stones we'll search the entry between the peaks Gourdon (3034m) in left side and Spijeoles (3065m) in right side, signalled with cairns. We'll reach the bottom of the climb following near of the wall south of the peak. The entry of the rock-climb is now visible and the cairns go to right across some terraces. It's necessary the use of the hands in a rock-climb of F (I) in a laborious but easy wall to reach the ridge with great blocks. Generally we'll go now not in the edge, but the route go in the right side of the ridge directly to reach the summit in a short walk-up.

Essential Gear

A map it's very advisable (it exist some of 1:50.000 of Rando editions of area "Luchon" or some 1:25.000 of IGN of France).
Crampons and ice-axe in spring (may-june) and of course in winter. Nothing special in summer.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

SpijeolesRoutes