Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.95041°N / 109.94956°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10491 ft / 3198 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Republic Peak is located on the northern border of Yellowstone National Park, with the south and west half of the peak lying in Yellowstone, and the north and east half lying in the Shoshone National Forest of Wyoming. The peak is located just to the east of 9,957 foot Republic Pass. There is no maintained trail to the summit, but it is a simple matter of ascending alpine grass and boulders to reach the summit from Republic Pass. From the summit are views of much of the northeast portion of Yellowstone National Park, and the Absaroka-Beartooth mountains of Montana to the north.

There was no benchmark on the summit at the time of this climb.

Getting There

Yellowstone National Park occupies the northwest corner of Wyoming, as well as small portions of southern Montana and eastern Idaho. There are five major roads entering the park:

  • West Entrance - Highway 20 through West Yellowstone, MT

  • North Entrance - Highway 89 through Gardiner, MT

  • Northeast Entrance - Highway 212 through Cooke City, MT

  • East Entrance - Highway 20 through Cody, WY

  • South Entrance - Highway 89 through Grand Teton NP
  • The North entrance at Gardiner Montana is the only entrance which remains open during the winter. Refer to the Operating Hours & Seasons page for complete details on road opening and closing dates in the park.

    Additional information can be found on the Yellowstone Plan Your Visit web page.

    Red Tape

    Yellowstone Entry Fees
    Entering Yellowstone National Park requires purchase of a $25 7-day pass, available at any of the five entry stations entering the park. This pass allows entry into both Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park to the south. Alternatively, an annual America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass may be purchased for $80. This pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an entrance or amenity Fee, for a period of one year.

    Backcountry Permits
    A backcountry camping permit is required for all overnight trips into the Yellowstone backcountry. Backcountry camping permits may be reserved in advance for a $20 fee. Backcountry permits may also be obtained on a walk-in basis, (subject to availability) no more than 48 hours prior to the hike - there is no charge for walk-in permits.

    Permits may be obtained from most ranger stations in the park. When picking up backcountry permits you will be required to view a short video on regulations and safe travel in the Yellowstone backcountry. The Yellowstone Backcountry Camping & Hiking page contains complete details and regulations on backcountry trips in the park.

    Camping

    There are numerous options for camping within Yellowstone National Park. Regulations and available facilities varies among the campgrounds. Visit the Campgrounds in Yellowstone page for complete details.

    There are also a number of lodging facilities within the park, ranging from rustic cabins to luxurious lodges and inns. Lodging in Yellowstone is administered by Xanterra Parks & Resorts, the primary concessioner in Yellowstone. Refer to their website for complete details on locations, reservations, etc.

    Backcountry sites nearest Republic Peak include 3C4, 3C3, and 3C2 (in order of nearness to the peak). Camping to the northeast of the peak is subject to regulations of the Shoshone National Forest.

    Bear Precautions

    Both grizzly and black bears are found in Yellowstone and the surrounding National Forest. Several of the most important precautions for safe travel in bear country include the following:

  • Do not hike alone; travel in groups and stay together

  • Stay on the trail

  • Announce your presence by making loud noise as you hike

  • Do not hike at night

  • Never store food in a tent; suspend food from a tree or bear pole

  • Never approach wildlife; keep a safe distance

    Visit Yellowstone's Your Safety in Bear Country web page for additional information on hiking in bear country.

    When to Climb

    Snow free climbing of Republic Peak may be found during a fairly limited timeframe from approximately July through September, although this may vary considerably depending on weather conditions.

    Route

    Due to the somewhat remote nature of Republic Peak, I've elected to post a route description in the main page, rather than a separate route. Other routes certainly exist, so feel free to post them and I will modify this section accordingly.

    via Republic Pass

    The west ridge of Republic Peak may be accessed via Republic Pass, which can be reached from either the Republic Trail, which begins in Cooke City, Montana, or from the Cache Creek Trail in Yellowstone National Park.

    From Republic Pass simply ascend the grass and rock slope immediately to the east. Republic Pass will remain in view nearly the entire way. Either approach to Republic Pass may be combined with the other to make a point-point hike, which will require a shuttle vehicle.

    The northern border of Yellowstone National Park lies at Republic Pass.

    UTM coordinates appear in blue.

    via Cooke City

    From the town of Cooke City, Montana 583689E 4985574N (7,564 ft), drive south on Republic Street ±1.3 miles to the Republic Trail parking area. Republic Street leaves Main Street near the west end of Cooke City.

    From the trailhead 584158E 4983954N (8,103 ft) hike south for ±4 miles to Republic Pass. The trail heads primary south climbing gradually through the forest. In a few spots the trail branches out as it moves over fallen timber or small stream crossings, but generally remains easy to follow. The final ½ mile or so switchbacks fairly steeply as it makes the final climb to Republic Pass 582615E 4978128N (9,957 ft).

    From the pass ascend the grass and rock slope east to the summit of Republic Peak 582861E 4977996N (10,491 ft).

    One way distance – ±4.25 miles

    Net elevation gain – ±2,388 feet

    via Cache Creek Trail (Yellowstone)

    Begin hiking from the Thunderer Cutoff Trail 0571443E 4974691N (6,894 feet) on the northeast entrance road in Yellowstone, approximately 12 miles from Cooke City, Montana.

    The first 4 miles climbs through forest to Chaw Pass (sp?) 575548E 4974224N (8,814 ft), then descends a burned timber slope to the intersection with the Cache Creek Trail 576996E 4973899N (7,734 ft). A short distance later the trail passes by the Cache Creek Patrol Cabin, and soon after a short ford of Cache Creek is required.

    After crossing Cache Creek continue hiking east on the well maintained trail, although it fades out briefly as it passes through several grassy meadows. At ±3 miles the trail gradually turns north and climbs 1,700 vertical feet over the next 2.0 miles up to Republic Pass 582615E 4978128N (9,957 ft).

    From the pass ascend the grass and rock slope east to the summit of Republic Peak 582861E 4977996N (10,491 ft).

    One way distance – ±10.1 miles

    Net elevation gain – ±3,597 feet