Reynolds and Raymond Peaks...

Reynolds and Raymond Peaks...

Reynolds and Raymond Peaks from Highland Peak. Sept 8, 2001
Bob Burd
on Feb 27, 2004 10:41 pm
Image ID: 43470

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Wobby

Wobby - Jun 9, 2009 2:13 am - Hasn't voted

question

what is the peak between Raymond and Reynolds, about mid-center of the photo, located directly on the ridge between the two? Is it unnamed, or just infrequented? When I visited Reynolds Peak, it looked like it was higher, and certainly a more difficult climb.
Also, what is the peak on the far left of the picture, the most southern on that ridge? When I was there it didn't have a summit register, but I felt like it was difficult enough and prominent enough to be named.
Thanks

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jun 9, 2009 5:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: question

That one in the center in unnamed. I walked by it when doing Reynolds/Raymond but I couldn't see any obvious way up. All the rock in this area is loose as you know, so it may not have been climbed.

I don't know the answer to your second question. Isn't that the one you named "Mitt" ?

Wobby

Wobby - Jun 10, 2009 3:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: question

Ok, yeah that peak looked pretty intense from our far away glances at it. If the rock is as loose as everywhere else then I could see why it might not have been climbed. Still, might be worth a shot someday.

And yes, we did nickname that peak "The Mitt" because it looks like a mitten from the north. I don't want to be taking a name from it though if it has one, or stealing glory from locals who know it better. It does get climbed once in a while as evidenced from rap slings on top.

Wobby

Wobby - Jun 10, 2009 3:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: question

oh also, thanks for the information

jpl779 - Sep 29, 2012 1:18 am - Hasn't voted

Answer

I call the peak halfway between Reynolds and Raymond "PIBOR" (Peak in back of Raymond). A friend and I climbed it in 1976. As far as I know we're the first. The climbing is much safer than Jeff Davis. the rock is much more trustworthy.

Jim

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Sep 30, 2012 4:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Answer

Thanks Jim!
I was just in the area again last week and looked longingly at that summit. I may have to go back there and check it out, now that I know it's doable.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6