Ricketts Glen, Pennsylvania

Ricketts Glen, Pennsylvania

JohnMcPike
on Feb 21, 2007 4:13 am
Image ID: 271763

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
weeds19

weeds19 - Feb 27, 2007 6:01 am - Voted 10/10

Nice photo

Where is Ricketts Glenn located? I have some in-laws in PA, and this looks like a great place to visit the next time I'm in the area.

JohnMcPike

JohnMcPike - Feb 28, 2007 4:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice photo

Rickets Glen State Park is in the NW section of Luzerne County - Wilkes-Barre is the county seat. There is a fabulous loop hike - the trailhead is at the southern end of the park, right off of PA118 there is a picnic area. I believe the picnic area is called Kitchen Creek. Forgot how many miles long but it's a 1000' elevation gain. Plenty of waterfalls (one other pic in my images section here on SP)and lots of trees. When a tree falls, they just cut out the part over the trail and leave the rest natural. Seem to read that this park almost became a national park. Thanks for the vote.

tioga

tioga - Jan 9, 2008 8:10 am - Voted 10/10

Northern Allegheny Plateau

Hey John,

You should attach this photo and any others of Ricketts Glen State Park to the Northern Allegheny Plateau page. The page is found here:
http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/171825/northern-allegheny-plateau.html

Also, I have never been to Ricketts Glen, but have heard it is a fabulous place to visit from a number of people, since I grew up in northern Pennsylvania. I believe the Loyalsock Trail goes through the park and I plan on backpacking that this summer, so hopefully that will allow me to see some of the beauty of the park.

-tioga

tioga

tioga - Jan 9, 2008 8:31 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Northern Allegheny Plateau

I'm sorry. The Loyalsock Trail does not go through Ricketts Glen State Park. It goes through nearby World's End State Park. I always get those two confused. I guess I need to just go and visit them. Also, I like the collection of photos that you have. I would also like to do the 50 state highpoints, but I have considerbly fewer done than you do (13 to date). Though some of the photos remind me of the ones I have done.

JohnMcPike

JohnMcPike - Jan 9, 2008 11:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Northern Allegheny Plateau

Yeah, Ricketts Glen is worth its own page on SP.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5