Ridge Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 52.81810°N / 118.1764°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is a 3100’+/- total ascent day. Take the Jasper Tramway to 7431’ on Whistlers Mountain. Weave your way through the tourists to the summit of Whistlers at 8091’ (1.1kms). There is a summit marker pointing out approximately 20 summits that can be seen from this viewpoint. Indian Ridge, depending on visibility, should be in clear view to the southwest.

Route Description

Leave the trail behind and descend Whistler’s southwest slopes to a broad high alpine col between Whistler Mountain and Indian Ridge. Stay somewhat right to avoid loosing more altitude then needed to traverse the next bump south before gaining the north ridge at the east end of Indian Ridge. Ascend the ridge eventually being drawn off on a trial below the summit on the left side. Follow some short switchbacks up talus slopes to the summit. There was a summit register in 2005. The views of Mt. Edith Cavell and Mount Fryatt were outstanding, but the real treat was the uniquely colored Trident Range one valley to the south, including Fortalice Mountain.

For the Traverse, proceed west along the ridge until you come to a notch that voids the route as a scramble. Back up just a tad and descend at a left angle down some loose gullies on the south side until you can hike back up to the ridge into the notch. As you now continue along the north side of the ridge, you will find some hands on scrambling as you work your way down to the col that serves up a fast scree descent into the cirque. Stay on the east side of the ridge as it curves north and you will find any one of several options to reach that col. The rock in this area is loose therefore it would be prudent not to stay on top of each other.

Once down to the col, descend skiers left on soft and fast scree. As you hit the grassy slopes, aim for the top of Whistlers Mountain and make the most efficient lines you can as you descend into the Indian Ridge drainage, cross over the drainage and then re-ascend Whistler’s summit from the southwest.

Essential Gear

Alpine Ax if Snow Conditions Prevail, Helmet



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.