Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Klenke

Klenke - Mar 15, 2010 12:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Bench near summit

That is interesting that Rock Candy ranks so highly in the county.

When I visited the summit some years ago (I drove to it after tagging Larch, after fixing a flat on Larch) there was a set of relaxing benches near the summit. The view north and northeast from these benches was great, which is probably why they were set there. I think the benches were down a few dozen yards from the true summit down a trail. Did you see these benches?

Redwic

Redwic - Mar 15, 2010 1:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bench near summit

I did not personally see those benches but I believe the benches you are thinking of are still there. I saw a clothesline with some cloth hanging a few dozen yards down the trail from the summit, so it is possible the benches are near there. I took more time focusing on a pile of rocks forming a wind shelter (for a tent, sleeping bag, or campfire, I presume) on the west side of that trail near the summit.

Thurston County is certainly not a peakbagger's paradise in relation to high elevation peaks. No peaks within the Black Hills/Capitol Forest region are over 2700' elevation, and the two peaks outside of that region within Thurston County that are taller are not even 3000' elevation. If anything, Thurston County could be considered a dumpster diver's paradise.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Rock Candy Mountain' main page