Rogers Rock Comments

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Aug 6, 2009 1:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Site of Robert Rogers Famous Escape

One historic note about Rogers Rock. Robert Rogers was the famed leader of a band of British colonial rangers during the French and Indian War. A New Hampshire man far ahead of his time, he pioneered long range strikes through the northeastern forests, matching what had been an exclusive French-Indian superiority in such tactics.

During one winter as the war swirled around French held Ft. Carillon (Ticonderoga) Roberts and his rangers had a large clash with the French and Ottawa. Known as the 'Battle on Snowshoes', Rogers got the worse of that engagement and his men broke up into small groups and retreated.

The next part of the story is still debated today. Rogers retreated alone up the summit of what was then known as Bald Mountain, with Ottawa scouts some distance behind on his snowshoe trail. When the enemy reached the top, they were stunned to discover Rogers already on the ice of Lake George, moving south to Ft. Edward.

It is clear he could not leap the 700 foot drop. Could he downclimb to the east in snowy conditions? Did he somehow lay a false snowshoe trail? Rogers never wrote about the incident, but the Rock has been Rogers ever since.

Rogers was an extraordinarily tough outdoorsmen who lead a fascinating life, with insight about America and its natives that were far ahead of his time. I have just read a recent biograghy 'War on the Run' by John F. Ross, which goes over his life, especially the war years.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'Rogers Rock' main page