Viewing: 1-20 of 27
12
Nelson

Nelson - Dec 7, 2006 1:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Shangri La

Nice TR, thanks for posting. The Shangri La rose-colored glasses work both ways. Some Nepalis think life in the west is where streets are paved with gold, only to be disappointed upon arriving into our hectic lifestyle. ("The streets are not paved with gold, they are not paved at all, and they want me to pave them." - 19th century immigrant to America). A place that had our level of comfort, and their slower pace of life and time for other people would be Shangri La.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 7, 2006 5:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Shangri La

Thanks for the nice words and such eloquent and very accurate comment. Many of the locals we met had precisely the same thing to say.

Cheers,

Martin

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Dec 7, 2006 5:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Shangri La

Good post, Nelson!

The Ogre

The Ogre - Dec 7, 2006 5:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent TR

Nice bit about your wife, that's a wonderful thing she did. Great photos. Good to hear about the downsides there, as well as the positive aspects.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 7, 2006 5:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent TR

Yes, she's a real saint alright. Pity she's not more saintly when I go off gear shopping etc!

But yes, she's doing great stuff and it's so worthwhile. The people need the help and are so grateful. We're also putting a boy through school. His fees are $150/year for everything. It's almost nothing and so much better than these so called charities that want $40-$50 a month and who pocket 90% and do goodness knows what with the rest.

The Ogre

The Ogre - Dec 8, 2006 9:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Putting kid through school

Wow, that is awesome. I think I understand why you do this stuff. I had a high school global studies teacher/football coach who had been to almost half the nations in the world, including many poor places. One thing he used to do, was take paper and Bic pens to give away. I guess in India and similar places they were like gold to the kids.
Again, very nice what you are doing. I feel "poor" sometimes, and then I hear stories like your TR and look around my "small" apartment and realize it is like a palace to 90=95% of the people in the world.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 8, 2006 11:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Putting kid through school

All quite true. Think about it; outside N.America, W Europe, Oz, NZ, Japan and a few isolated pockets here and there, it's all 3rd world out there. In terms of population, that's probably more than 90%.

I've had so many responses to this TR, particularly Gwen's contribution which, in truth, I only scratched the surface of. She's doing a lot more than I wrote. Perhaps I should write up an article on how one can help in Nepal - or anywhere else for that matter.

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Dec 7, 2006 5:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Very good reading...

...and photos. Thanks for taking the time! These are the memories coming from a full life.... I agree completely with Ogre.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 7, 2006 5:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very good reading...

What a wonderful thing to say St G. Thank you so much.

Martin

oluskydiver

oluskydiver - Dec 7, 2006 5:48 pm - Voted 9/10

nicely done

thanks for sharing your experience. many thanks to your wife as well.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 8, 2006 5:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: nicely done

My pleasure - glad you enjoyed it. I'll pass on your kind words to Gwen of course.

calebEOC

calebEOC - Dec 8, 2006 1:49 am - Voted 10/10

Great trip report

I really enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting. Its inspirational that you and your wife take gifts to give away, something to consider once I am able to afford expeditions like this.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 8, 2006 5:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great trip report

Thanks so much for such kind words. Actually the cost wasn't too bad for the trekking portion. Under the new govt rules you have to have a guide etc anyway. What costs is the airfare to Nepal - around C$2,000 from Vancouver.

dadndave

dadndave - Dec 8, 2006 2:53 am - Voted 10/10

Really Good....

..TR and good on you and Gwen for doing something so constructive and practical.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 8, 2006 5:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Really Good....

Thanks d'n'd - always good to hear from you. I'll pass on the good word to Gwen of course.

climberska - Dec 8, 2006 8:36 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report

Great report! I've never been there so it's good to hear how it really is on such trips. I have gained some knowledge from others who have been there.

The info I've heard isn't all rosy. Most stories I've heard include such things as dysentery, hair-raising bus/jeep rides on horrible roads, rancid yak-butter beverages, days waiting for transportation, ridiculous bureaucracy to get permits, porters dying from falling off cliffs and into rivers, and lots of other fun things..............

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 8, 2006 5:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Trip Report

Many thanks. I don't know about the yak butter tea - I wouldn't touch that anyway - but I'm afraid the rest is all true. Everyone is sick, folk are being shuttled out hourly by helicopter, it's cold, it's squalid but it's utterly compelling.

The government is trying to improve the situation vis a vis local porters by introducing weight limits etc. And now you must go with a guide. Our guys were well looked after. Note the orange weather suits in some of the photos. May not look like much but as far as they were concerned and compared to what they turned up in, they might as well have been wearing brand new BD or TNF etc gear. However, in the past some unscrupulous organsisations certainly took advantage of porters and clients alike. Inadequate clothing and footwear and poor (or no) guiding has led to some fatal incidents. Hopefully this is being eradicated.

mvs

mvs - Dec 8, 2006 12:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Amazing

what Gwen did! And a great story, I kind of think you'll go back. :)

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 8, 2006 5:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing

Many thanks. And yes, she's an amazing lady. Even after 38 years together she still has the capacity to surprise me.

And yes again, I will go back. I would probably have gone this fall but for tearing my meniscus in June and having to have surgery. It's been a while healing thereafter. Spring probably.

Jerry L

Jerry L - Dec 8, 2006 12:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

Enjoyed reading your trip report this morning. It sounds like a great learning experience, how we in the west take so much for granted. Good on you for bringing gifts for the poor and teaching the children. So many only take, but you chose to give as well. Thanks for posting.

Jerry

Viewing: 1-20 of 27
12
Return to 'Round The Houses to Everest' main page