Round Top (UT)

Round Top (UT)

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Informational
Pony Express Hawk

Round Top, the Utah one

Round Top Peak (6434') and its neighbor Davis Mountain (6252'), are found in the west Utah desert just off the Pony Express Trail road. Although less than 60 miles from Lehi Utah(and I-15) it is in country that is steeped in history. One can just imagine the lonely pony express riders galloping through this lonely and arid country as they made their hazardous way from one station to the next. More than two thirds of the route from Lehi to the spot where I hiked the mountain are paved but the last third is on dirt roads and one needs to be prepared to be self reliant in this area. Round Top is one of Utah's 359 peaks that have over 1000 feet of prominence and this was part of the attraction of why I wanted to visit this one. Of course, I had looked at this little mountain from the tops of some adjacent peaks (Stookey & Indian Peaks) but with the continuing wintry weather still being experienced by the Wasatch range in the first part of April, it was a great time to visit this one. In fact, I just barely got off the summit of nearby Davis Mountain (a prominence peak of the dumpster diver sort) before the rain hit in earnest. You will note that most of these pics lack blue skies and great color due to the overcast situation I found on the day I visited Round Top.

I have visited Round Top peaks before, the one in California south of Lake Tahoe comes to mind. I will add more information on access, camping, maps etc once I put together a page for this mountain. Here's a LINK to a great resource and the one that motivated me to visit this peak. Fellow SP member Eric Willhite is putting together a great resource. Other noteworthy peaks in the area are Indian Peaks (worthy of a SP page and forthcoming) and Stookey Peak to the west (which has an SP page).

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.