Rumney Rocks

Rumney Rocks

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing

A sport-climbing mecca - virtually invisible on SummitPost?

Rumney Rocks is probably the best-known sport-climbing venue in the northeastern US.

Located on the west side of the town of Rumney, the cliffs of Rumney Rocks form a significant part of the south face of Rattlesnake Mountain.

I don't have the time or knowledge to give Rumney the proper Rock page it deserves, but in the meantime here's a place to start accumulating photos and other info.

If you have information to add, please comment or request editor permission on this page.

A few points to start with:
This is the place for really difficult sport climbing, but there are so many climbs that all abilities should find something to climb. Many climbs are a single pitch, but some are two or even three pitches. There are also a few trad routes (a couple of cracks, plus some easier stuff that nobody has bothered to retro-bolt), and whole areas devoted to bouldering, including the Pound area a couple of miles away which takes "roadside bouldering" to a new level.

The rock is mostly schist, which tends to form sharp edges (but paradoxically is very slippery when wet). Not only is it rough on hands and feet, you need to be very aware of where your rope is running. Just because you're on a bolted route doesn't mean the rope follows a completely safe line.

Wear a helmet and be aware of what's above you. Cliffs are crowded with people and some areas have loose rocks.

As with many sport-climbing areas, a "sissy stick" can come in handy for reaching the first bolt, as many climbs have bad landings.

WHEN TO CLIMB:
The main cliff closes during peregrine nesting season, April to June. Other cliffs may also close if nests are established on them.

External Links

Rumney area on MountainProject

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
EastKing

EastKing - Oct 26, 2010 8:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Hard to believe I lived 20 minutes from there. Been on the summit of that peak twice yet never went there to rockclimb. Awesome photos!!

nartreb

nartreb - Oct 28, 2010 4:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Thanks. I've only been there twice myself. Sport always seemed like cheating to me, but I still enjoy it if I just think of it as an outdoor gym (complete with crowds and the fact that everybody [me included] feels compelled to explain each fall to their friends below).

RhythmicMom

RhythmicMom - Jul 14, 2011 9:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Had fun!

Was fun climbing there last weekend - too bad no good photos to post... I hope to get back there soon with a bigger group so I can take some photos worth posting here. Thanks for introducing Rumney to a novice climber :)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.