Ruth Mountain Album

Ruth Mountain Album

Page Type Page Type: Album

Ruth Mountain Climb 8-17-08

An amazing climb. We started at Hannegan Pass Trailhead at 8:15 am. Made short work of the hike to Hannegan Pass and on up to the south to Ruth Mountain. The views were amazing as we went higher, but it was HOT and humid which slowed me down a little. We finally made it to the bottom of Ruth Glacier and hung out with a couple of backpackers and a very nice girl from Seattle. This was Chris' and mine first real glacier traverse, so we followed all the rules to the T. Even though the slope was modest, we roped up, put on our crampons and carried our ice axes. Other than having to dodge 1 crevasse (easy enough to do) the ascent was simple but tiring. The glacier is in good condition and the weather perfect (except for the heat). It got a little windy near the top, but the views were spectacular! Mount Shuksan was amazing, Baker, the entire Picket range, Hannegan and on to the peaks near the border (Tomihoy, Larabee, American Border Peak, Canadian Border peak, Goat Mnt. etc). We watched some hikers from a Mountaineering group coming back (or going to?) to Icy Peak. This hike looks even more amazing and we want to do this next. The descent was uneventful except for the heat. It was really hot! We made it back to the truck by around 3:30 pm. Like I said, an amazing hike, highly recommended. And the glacier really is not very technical. A good first Glacier we thought.

External Links

Many more pictures of Ruth Mountain Climb

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.