Sacajawea Glacier via Titcomb

Sacajawea Glacier via Titcomb

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.15080°N / 109.6305°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble/Snow
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: II, 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See mainpage for approach to Titcomb Basin.

Route Description


From the uppermost lake in Titcomb there is a chute (Class 2/3) easier than adjacent ones that leads to the divide ridge between Sacajawea and Helen. It's much closer to Sac than Helen. On the other side, step onto the top of the glacier and contour across the top for Helen. The glacier can be climbed to its utmost point followed by a couloir to the summit at easy 5 (depending on the condition of the 'schrund) or, below the 'schrund, a traverse can be made east on Class 3-4 rock to meet the east ridge. The summit knob is Class 4.

Bonus: This route is in position to add the climb of Sacajawea.



Essential Gear


Full backpacking gear. Crampons, axe, rope for crevasses or rope/rack for the stiffer climbs. Bug dope.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.