Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.75724°N / 106.3707°W
Additional Information County: Sandoval
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8463 ft / 2580 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Saint Peters Dome is the highest of the small group of 8,000-foot peaks on the eastern edge of the Jemez Mountains rising above Cochit Lake, Cochiti Pueblo, and the Rio Grande River. It currently serves as the foundation for a watchtower from which forest management can keep an eye out for fires in the eastern portions of the Jemez Mountains.

This peak as well as the rest of the Jemez Mountains were once part of a massive supervolcano that collapsed around a million years ago, which sent hundreds of cubic kilometers of rock and ash into the atmosphere. Today, they stand as monuments to an amazing past filled with huge amounts of volcanism visible over much of the northern Rio Grande Valley. Large, obtuse boulders of tuff as well as hole-filled cliffs from the volcanic activity in the past accent the area with interesting landmarks and potential rock climbing locations. This place is not visited often, especially in the winter, and provides a wonderful outdoor experience with plenty of solitude.

The Dome Wilderness Area is the smallest wilderness area in New Mexico. Hit by a fire in 1996, it continues to recover, which is why the higher peaks have no trees.

There are three ways to the top of this peak. It is possible to come from the north on the Boundary Peak Trail from Bandelier National Monument. Another route is the Saint Peters Dome Trail that starts on the southern border of the Dome Wilderness. The shortest is driving up to a low point on the ridge between Boundary Peak and Saint Peters Dome and strolling up the road to the summit.
Saint Peters Dome from the West

Getting There

To the Saint Peters Dome Trailhead:
Travel north from Albuquerque on Interstate 25 to exit 264. From there, turn west and drive through Cochiti Lake following the signs. Continue and take a right about .75 miles past the Cochiti Pueblo Golf Course on to road 289. Stay on this road into Eagle Canyon and up on to the ridge between Eagle Canyon and Cochiti Canyon. Just prior to the start of some major switchbacks in the road, .25 miles past a narrow passage between two rises on the ridge, you'll come to an orange sign reading "Dome Wilderness." The Saint Peters Dome Trail begins 25 feet to the right of the sign and parking 25 feet to the right of the trailhead.

To the Ridge Between Boundary Peak and Saint Peters Dome:
Instead of stopping at the trailhead for the Saint Peters Dome Trail, continue on Road 289 to intersection with Saint Peters Dome Road (Road 142). Take a right at the intersection and head towards the watchtower.

Take note: the road is closed in winter a couple of miles above the trailhead.

To the Boundary Peak Trailhead:
From Santa Fe, take US-285/US-84 towards Espanola, NM. After 16 miles, take NM-502 towards Los Alamos. Around 11.5 miles, turn onto NM-4, which will deliver you to Bandelier National Monument. Once inside the monument, make your way to the main visitor center where the trail begins.

Red Tape

This peak, as well as the Saint Peters Dome Trail reside within the borders of the Dome Wilderness so no wheeled vehicles including mountain bikes are permitted.
Summit Watchtower

Camping

Camping is allowed in the area, but you must acquire a permit prior to your trip. There is also a campground at Cochiti Lake (505-465-2300).

Mountain Conditions

Here's a link for the weather forecast of the peak cluster in which Saint Peters Dome sits.

Saint Peters Dome Weather

External Links

Bandelier National Monument
National Parks Conservation Association


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.