Viewing: 1-10 of 10
hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 20, 2005 9:28 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good work

Scott

Scott - Jul 20, 2005 11:19 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Excellent page!!



To change the direction to west, just put a - sign in front of the number.



One again, this is an excellent page. Keep up the good work.

Johan Heersink

Johan Heersink - Jul 21, 2005 6:52 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page!

Andino

Andino - Aug 1, 2008 3:44 am - Voted 10/10

Main picture missing...

It seems that the head picture is missing on your page.

Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Aug 22, 2008 4:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Main picture missing...

thanks - fixed.

Andino

Andino - Aug 22, 2008 5:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Main picture missing...

I saw that you skied Monte Pissis down... was it nice to ascend ?
How many days did you need ? How did you get to Base Camp ?

Cheers,
antoine

Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Aug 22, 2008 5:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Main picture missing...

Hi!
When did you change your username, Antoine?
Well, we hitch-hiked and cycled to BC (and out again), so it took us 14 days overall. Ascend itself is fairly boring, but the skiing interesting, as it is in a totally landscape than where one usually skis.
Normally you can drive to BC from Fiambala in a day and summit from there in 2 days.

Cheers!
Peter

Andino

Andino - Aug 25, 2008 9:34 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Main picture missing...

Hallo Peter,

Glad you noticed the name change !
I did it recently. Sounds friendlier than Myzantrope, doesn't it ;o)

The ascent seems indeed very basic, but Corax told me that the surroundings and the remoteness of this mountain makes it special. Do you agree ?

Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Aug 25, 2008 10:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Main picture missing...

It is special, indeed, the surroundings are worth the visit to the mountain alone (most weird skiing I have done so far). Remote, well - Janne and I both used bicycles to get in, I think if you use a 4x4 you will not feel the mountain to be all that remote (unless the car breaks down...). At least one guy (Jonson Reynoso) has hiked back to the main pass road too.

Overall Pissis was one of my best trips, and I can only recommend to go there.

intothewild

intothewild - Aug 14, 2011 7:11 pm - Voted 5/10

Beware of those buses...

Today (Aug 14th, 2011) I had planned the hike to the Plantat refuge from Lo Valdes. The idea was to leave Santiago early morning, get to San Gabriel and from there hitch-hike to Lo Valdes, and return to Santiago in the evening.
The key piece of advice I would like to share is: "DON'T EVEN THINK OF TAKING THE BUS UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF SPARE TIME."

A few things I'd like to share with everyone:
1) The subway in Santiago starts operating at 8 AM on Sundays. That's right - 8 AM. I was at the station at 6:30 and it was of no use.
2) The "bus" to Cajon del Maipo originates at a subway station called Bellavista de la Florida. Taxi drivers who operate downtown don't seem to know that it exists.
3) You can also take the bus at Puente Alto, but mind you, it will be packed by then.
4) The frequency of these buses is a mystery. I waited for about 1h 45' for the bus on the way back.
5) The bus is small and packed. If you have equipment and a medium sized pack, just forget it.
6) In "winter", they'll take you only to San Gabriel. I arrived there at about 11:15 AM (it took about 2h 30' from Santiago). At that point, if you hitch-hike to Lo Valdes and you are lucky, you get there at about noon minimum. A bit late to start any hike.
The list goes on. Just use one of the outfitters and get decent transport. Unless you have a few days to kill.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'San José volcano' main page