Sand Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Scott M.

Scott M. - Nov 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Ski in  Sucess!

Got sucked in to skiing this by a "friend" in Clark. Don't know the exact start point but I think it was off County 62. A good adventure with plenty of great Colorado snow.

Shaylee

Shaylee - Nov 11, 2014 2:26 pm Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2005

Sand  Sucess!

7-26-2008
9-3-2005

edevart

edevart - Sep 16, 2012 12:05 pm Date Climbed: Sep 15, 2012

Quick and fun.

The hardest part about this summit is the access road. Might as well park earlier and walk more because the walking is very nice. Good trail to the summit and a nice one to do at sunset.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Sep 11, 2011 4:21 pm Date Climbed: Sep 10, 2011

Great area  Sucess!

Great hike with Sand, "North Sand", and Meaden.

JohnnyCO

JohnnyCO - Feb 4, 2011 8:03 pm

Danger Batman

Climbed this solo. I decided to ride my bike up to the trailhead, which is series of forest roads. As I rounded a corner on my bike, there were about 10 sheep dogs eating. I thought I was a gonner. Made it through that and on my way to the peak. Great trail from the TH. Wonderful views at the top. Summit ed Meaden Peak on my way down. Great double bagger day. Took the long way back to my vehicle to avoid the vicious dogs.

Kessler

Kessler - Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am

Sand

July 26, 2008:

I had a great time on the mountain. I climbed it with my dad, mom, and little sister.

September 3, 2005:

Climbed with Dad, Mom, and sister Shaylee.

Scott

Scott - Sep 6, 2005 4:16 pm

Sand Mountain  Sucess!

July 26 2008:

After camping not far from the trailhead Friday night, Kessler, Shaylee, Kim and I set off to climb Sand Mountain in the Elkhead Mountains. We saw lots of wildlife on the approach (deer, elk, porcupine, grouse and a fox). We climbed to the summit in perfect weather and in contrast to Black Mountain earlier this week, only a couple mosquitoes. The views were great from the summit and the kids had a good time walking on the snow.

After climbing Sand Mountain, Kim, Shaylee and Kessler headed back down while I followed Sand Mountain’s north ridge before dropping down to the saddle and then climbing Meaden Peak East.

September 3 2005:

Since we didn't find the correct trail/trailhead on August 6, we tried again in September. This time we made the summit and found the right trail. The directions on the page should help!

We saw a group of three other hikers. This is the first and only time I have ever met hikers in the Elkhead Mountains in my many trips over the past year.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Sand Mountain' main page