Sawtooth Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
DesertDawg

DesertDawg - Oct 9, 2017 11:50 am Date Climbed: Oct 6, 2017

Little Bit O' Snow  Sucess!

Beautiful area. I was surprised by the amount of early season snow. Made it to the top with my 7th grade son, & two Golden Retrievers. Tom Lopez' route description is a good one when he says you have to stay below the ridge, sometimes considerably so to the make the route go. We did get treed at one point trying to make it back to the ridge and with the snow it made the footing dicey. We backtracked down a ways to take the gentler-sloped traverse over to the summit block. I'd say do not try to take the ridge line up but go about 2/3'rds up on the East Side (climber's right). There was a summit register in a PVC pipe and a geocache stockpile in a Tupperware container. Very memorable day. We did see a large gathering of ladybugs on the top hunkered down in a crack between rocks, maybe getting ready for winter. Great view on top of many 9K ft. peaks, Payette and Cascade lakes, and I think we saw the Sawtooths on the far horizon. The trail up the Snowslide Pass had some amazing views of Snowslide's North Face with horizontal ribbons of snow all along the cliff ledges. Beautiful but the trail was challenging to follow in some places. Don't miss this climb.

TheWolfIsLoose

TheWolfIsLoose - Nov 14, 2016 8:04 pm Date Climbed: Oct 29, 2016

Beautiful Country  Sucess!

We hiked in on the Snowslide Lake Trail and then up the SOuth Ridge. Snow conditions got a bit messy up high, but we made do with some careful, time-consuming footwork. Great views from the ridge to the summit.

boisedoc

boisedoc - Jul 19, 2015 1:20 pm Date Climbed: Jul 17, 2015

great July weather  Sucess!

amazingly pleasant day for a hike in July. Cool, no bugs and no haze. My wife is hating me for taking her up this but overall the trail is steep and rocky but clear and easy to follow. The ridge itself presents a lot of huge granite blocks to scramble around and over- hard to say which is the quickest way along the ridge.

jafriesen

jafriesen - Jul 4, 2014 5:36 pm Date Climbed: Jul 4, 2014

July 4th beauty  Sucess!

Hiked with Dad and Josh up the S ridge. It was Dad's first Idaho Peak! We saw a ton of ladybugs at the top. Good times!

jlfriesen

jlfriesen - Jul 4, 2014 5:28 pm Date Climbed: Jul 4, 2014

4th of July hike  Sucess!

Hiked up with my brother and father on this great holiday. Worried about the temperature since yesterday was 104F in the valley. We hit the trailhead at 715 and it was a nice brisk 55F. Very beautiful and somewhat tame hike up to sawtooth then ridge traversed to snowslide from there. Great glissading down the northwest ridge of snowslide which is a pleasant surprise in July.

benbusack

benbusack - Jul 9, 2012 12:01 am Date Climbed: Jul 8, 2012

Bugs  Sucess!

Trailhead to summit in 2:20. It can not be overstated that this trail is terrible and in need of some serious love. If anyone is interested in getting together for some trail work in this area let me know. Amazing views all around. There is definitely potential to link routes together for some multinpeak traverses. Finally, the summit was literally swarming with lady bugs. This is the second time I've experienced this and I highly recommend it. Great outing. I will be back.

sassyplatt

sassyplatt - Oct 3, 2009 6:04 pm Date Climbed: Oct 7, 2001

Standard route  Sucess!

Fun with family, love this area.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Sawtooth Peak' main page