Schönbichler Horn

Schönbichler Horn

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.00875°N / 11.77252°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10279 ft / 3133 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Geographical Classification: Eastern Alps > Zillertal Alps > Schönbichler Horn

The Schönbichler Horn is well known summit of Zillertal Alps. It is part of the Zillertaler Hauptkamm (Zillertal Alps Main ridge), wich is, of course, in the center of Zillertal Alps. Although the summit isn't located on the border (Italy-Austria) on wich most prominent peaks are located. The Schönbichler Horn is part of the Greinerkamm / Greinerridge, named after the heighest peak of the ridge (Grosser Greiner 3199m). The Greinerridge runs north from the summit of Grosser Möseler and ends at the Spiegelkopf (2102m). Neighbour peaks are the Grosser Möseler and Furschagelspitze south, and the Talggenköpfe and the Grosser Greiner at his northside.

The summit is very popular due to it's location on the Berliner Höhenweg / Berliner trail, wich is a 70 kilometers long trail through the Zillertal Alps. See this site for more information on the Berliner Höhenweg. Because of it's location on the trail the routes to the summit are very well marked and protected with cables. On summerdays the summit is very crowded with hikers and mountaineers. There's a pretty large summitcross with a stamp.
Zsigmondyspitze from SchoenbichlerhornSummitpanorama (East)

Getting There

In General: There are two starting points (mountain huts) to start your climb to the summit. The starting points of the climb can be easily reached from the Zillertaler valley. From Mayerhofen you drive up to the Schlegeisspeicher, wich starts after Breitlahner. For the last kilometers you have to pay a fee for using the road. At the Schlegeisspeicher you have enough parking lots.

1. Furtschagelhaus 2295m.
Barbara Gratz
Schied 114
A-5611 Großarl
Telefon: + 43 (0) 676 / 9579818
E-Mail:furtschaglhaus@a1.net

Furschaglhaus


Getting there: From there you walk along the lake and follow the marked trail to the Furtschaglhouse. From Schlegeisspeicher about 2.5 hours.

2. Berlinerhütte 2040m.
Kerstin Schöneborn
Krallerwinkl 46
5761 Maria Alm
Telefon: + 43 / 5286 / 5223

Berlinerhütte


Getting there: From Mayerhofen drive to Breitlahner. Here you'll have to park your car. From Breitlahner go via Alpenrose on a marked trail to the Berlinerhütte. From Breitlahner about 3 hours.

Routes

Normal route from the Furtschaglhaus
Grosser Moeseler from Schoenbichler HornOn the summit.


This is the easiest and shortest route to the summit. The marked path leads you from the hut directly to the Schönbichler scharte / pass (3081 m). Just below the pass there are a few cables in place. From the pass is't a short scramble to the summit.

Starting point: Furtschaglhaus (2295 m)
Highest point: summit of the Schönbichler Horn(3133 m)
Height gain: 838 m
Time: to the Schönbichler pass(3081 m) 2,5 hours, from the pass to the summit a few minutes. Total: 2,5 - 3 hours.

Normal route from the Berlinerhütte

This route is a bit longer than the first one. You'll first have to descent towards Alpenrose. Before you'll reach it there's a shortcut to go directly towards the Schönbichler Horn. Follow the marked path, wich gets pretty steep and airy at the end, to the Schönblichler pass. From there in a few minutes to the summit.

Starting point and parking: Berlinerhütte (2040 m)
Highest point: summit of the Schönbichler Horn(3133 m)
Height gain: 1093 m
Time: to the Schönbichler pass(3081 m) 3 hours, from the pass to the summit a few minutes. Total: 3 - 3,5 hours.
Map of the Schönbichler HornMap of the routes

Maps and Guidebook

Map 1:25 000:
  • Zillertaler Alpen (Westliches Blatt)
    Alpenvereinskarte 35/1
Map 1:50 000:
  • Zillertaler Alpen / Tuxer Alpen
    Kompass Map WK37
    ISBN: 3-85491-042-8
Map 1:50 000:
  • Mayrhofen - Zillertaler Alpen - Gerlos - Krimml
    Freytag & Berndt WK152
Online Map:Guidebook:
  • Zillertaler Alpen
    H. Klier / W. Klier
    Alpenvereinsführer
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-7633-1269-2
To order Kompass maps or guidebooks: www.kompass.at
To order Freytag & Berndt maps: www.freytagberndt.at
To order the Rother Wanderführer: www.rother.de

External Links

* Weather forecast
* Avalance Bulletin
* Time Table Bus
* Time Table Train