Schoentalspitze

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.12240°N / 11.09480°E
Additional Information Elevation: 9868 ft / 3008 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Schöntalspitze is a very popular and easy mountain. During the summer months the summit gets crowded because of the great views to the Stubai alps.

Hoher Seeblaskogel viewed during ascent.

The summit view is dominated by Hoher Seeblaskogel, Schrankogel and Lisenser Fernerkogel. The summit is quite hidden by its neighbours and only visible at a few spots from the valley.
The only time to enjoy this summit alone is during the change from autumn to winter or from winter to spring, when there is not enough snow to do the ski-ascent and too many snow for hte lot of people who usually visit this mountain. The first ascent of this summit was done in 1892 by M. Peer and A. Hintner.
The easiest route to the top is via Westfalenhaus and leads up the southern slopes and the southwest ridge.

Summit views

Maps and routes overview

Maps:
  • 1:50 000
  • KOMPASS #83 - "Stubaier Alpen" - A good overview map.
  • 1:25 000
  • Alpenvereinskarte 31/2 - Stubaier Alpen/Sellrain - A more detailed map of Sellrain mountains.

    Routes:
    There are two major routes to the top of Schöntalspitze:

  • West ridge (Summer route)
  • From Westfalenhaus trail #143 leads up to Zischgenscharte (2930m / 9612ft). From there the Southwest ridge leads up to the summit (some places UIAA I-II, secured by steel-ropes)
  • From Northeast (Skiroute)
  • This route starts at the parking lot in Lisens and leads up the Schöntal (west). At about 2700m / 8858ft turn left (south-west) and go on towards the summit. If you' re not along with skies, this route may be a good descent (shorter than the route via Westfalenhaus).

    Getting There

    Kühtai is easily reached by car via the road through Sellrain - valley from Kematen to Ötz. In Gries im Sellrain a road to Praxmar and Lisens leads up the valley.
    By train it is a bit more complicated. Kematen has a train station and from there a bus drives to Gries im Sellrain. I don' t know if a bus connection from Gries im Sellrain to Lisens or Praxmar exists, but if so it would be very time consuming.
    For more information about train and bus connections visit DBahn (german trains) or Öbb (austrian trains).

    Red Tape

    There are no permits, fees or seasonal closures.
    The parking lot in Lisens (1636m / 5367ft) costs 3 Euros a day. If you plan to stay longer than a day the maximum parking time is limited to ten days! The parking lot at Praxmar (1692m / 5551ft) lightens your wallet by the same amount of money. Thanks to mvs for pointing that out.

    When To Climb

    Schöntalspitze is climbed all the year.
    During summer the route via Westfalenhaus is usually climbed, because the ski-route is very exhausting. The final summit ridge has no real difficulties and is well secured. The slopes up to Zischgenscharte are very exhausting if its hot!
    In the winter months the route via Schöntal offers a great ski-tour. The slope are quite steep, so look out for avalanches! To reduce the risk of avalanches, check snow-condition before doing this trip (snow-conditions of Tyrol - page in german).

    Camping

    I don' t know if camping is allowed on the mountain.
    Westfalenhaus is located nearly perfect for an ascent of Schöntalspitze.
    Kühtai (about 25km from Lisens) is a winter resort and has a lot of hotels. For more information visit the homepage of Kühtai.

    Westfalenhaus

    Westfalenhaus is the only hut near Schöntalspitze. Located in the Längental - a valley south of Schöntalspitze - it is a prefect base for trips like Schöntalspitze, Hoher Seeblaskogel, Lisenser Fernerkogel and many others. With a alltitude difference of about 650m / 2132ft from the parking lot in Lisens, the hut is easily reachable via several paths. There are two major routes to the hut:
  • Trail 141 - There are two supply-roads leaving the parkinglot to the south. Trail 141 leads up the slopes to the right and offers great views to Lisenser Fernerkogel
  • Winterweg (winter-trail) - This trail leads on into the valley towards Lisenser Fernerkogel and up to Längentalalm (1988m / 6522ft). From there the trail leads on to the hut.

  • Mountain Conditions

    Webcams:
  • Alpengasthof Praxmar
  • Webcam in Praxmar (1692m / 5551ft) with view direction south-east towards Lisenser Villerspitz (3026m / 9927ft). A mountain about 4km from Schöntalspitze.
    NOTE:  You have to click the link webcam on this page to get the current shot. The old link to the webcam (Alpengasthof Praxmar) shows an old shot from 2004...

    Weather:

  • www.wetter.com (Gries im Sellrain)
  • Gries im Sellrain is about 10km from Praxmar and about 14km from Lisens.
  • OEAV weather
  • Weather forecast of the austrian club of the alps (OEAV).




    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Sellrainer BergeMountains & Rocks