Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 29, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Baldy

Not ready to commit to the forecast week of rain/snow, I drove east looking for the sun. I found it north of Yakima near Sultan. Baldy was blanketed wth a thin layer of snow, only the tall grass and large boulders protruding when I began hiking at noon. Temperatures were in the mid 30's with moderate wind that turned extreme on the upper ridge.

We encountered a herd of 20 or so goats near the base. Birds of prey riding warm columns of air surrounded us for most of the ascent. Saw so snakes, but a few tracks/tunnels in the snow.

We were in the only pocket of sunshine, the distant ranges shrouded in moisture. Still, the views were astounding. Rolling hills stretch endlessly in all directions with deep canyons cutting between them. Snoqualmie Pass had just started snowing on my way out and appeared to have continued throughout the day.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

BaldyTrip Reports