Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.98957°N / 105.29372°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7100 ft / 2164 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Second Flatiron is a much ignored monolith sitting between the more popular First and Third Flatirons. It has a disjunctive nature that breaks up comfortable climbing lines. The easier routes do not summit and the two summits, the Pullman Car and the South Block, both sit above the east face on impressive walls. Although it is not home to the uber-popular routes of the other two, it should not be ignored. It does host several of Roach's "classic" class 4 routes (Freeway and Dodgeblock).

The lack of popularity on this rock guarantees a much more solitary adventure that is almost never found on the First or Third.

FlatironsSitting between the First and Third


Other than the class 4 routes, the formation has several moderate climbing challenges that offer a good day (Free for All 5.6, South Ridge 5.7).


Second FlatironImpressive face of the South Block
Second FlatironLooking up at the Pullman Car

Getting There

Park at the Chautauqua trailhead and hike towards the First (well signed). Take a left at the final junction before the First Flatiron climbing access. The trail will ascend more gradually and traverse up and south along Green Mountain where it will eventually pass the bottom of the rock (the start of Freeway).


Second FlatironThis is where the trail touches the rock.

Red Tape

The second does not have the same annual closures as the Third but it is not a bad idea to check here just in case.



As with other Flatiron routes, harder rock always lurks close to the "scrambling" routes. It's not a bad idea to take a rope just in case or go with someone who knows the routes. Be safe and have a great time!

Second FlatironLove the views!

External Links

Here is a map of the general area.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.