Viewing: 1-9 of 9
rhyang

rhyang - Oct 8, 2010 10:57 am - Voted 10/10

Route Type

I would just call it 'Trad Climbing', since the presence of bolts does not make it sport climbing. Just a suggestion. Looks like fun !

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 8, 2010 6:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Route Type

Thanks, I will fix it. Just I was thinking that for a true minimalist you can climb it just with a few draws...

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 11, 2010 8:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Freudian Slips...

actually it is pretty obvious :).
Anyway, I will try to take a photo from the window of the Bagel&deli coffeeshop, and mark it on it. How does that sound? Then everyone who drinks the coffee, can study the route....
Going back to Ouray tomorrow...

dadndave

dadndave - Oct 28, 2010 4:49 am - Voted 10/10

Duck Breast!

Dammit, your dog lives better than me.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 28, 2010 1:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Duck Breast!

Well, she does not like dog food. But, she is tough - great hiking buddy, and yesterday was jumping on cacti thorns, and did not complain at all....
BTW, she also loves sushi and lobster.

San Juaneer

San Juaneer - Sep 9, 2011 1:17 pm - Hasn't voted

trivia

This route was developed and named by Eric Wright of Telluride, CO. He is actually somewhat offended that his route has been AKA'd "the Mountaineer's Route" without permission, after not only efforting many days and dollars into the development of the route but also supplying the beta as well as the route's GIVEN NAME to a certain guide book author. Oh well, I hope I have stated this sensitively enough... just my understanding anyway. You would be offering Eric a worthy honor here on SP if you would alter the (AKA) to it's intended English translation of "the Shining Path" and omit the ascribed embellishment. Thanks Liba, great page otherwise!

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Sep 9, 2011 9:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: trivia

Thanks, I actually spoke about this with Eric about 3 weeks ago. I did not know previously b/c I used the information from the Rock Ouray climbing guide, and it was named that way there.
The Sendero Luminoso adendum was actually my guess, and it was what Eric meant when he named his route. Thanks for your comment.

59climbforfun - Dec 10, 2012 11:34 pm - Hasn't voted

first pitch

that 5.9 first pitch is a scare fest if you suck. I think it should be retro bolted to protect like the rest of the climb. It's a good pitch and adds to the climb. Just way to scary for someone who sucks. The rest of the climb goes really well for someone who sucks. One more 5.9 pitch adds a lot good fun, but I soiled my self as it is. Not only run out but traverses and run out.

eric1

eric1 - Jan 12, 2013 4:06 am - Hasn't voted

Sendero

The bolted 1st pitch is run out I agree, Sorry. That was because Damon forgot to charge his drill the night before and ran out of juice to finish project. We were supposed to go to top of wall. And only got up a 2 pitches.
When Frank Robertson and I finished a year or two later we climbed natural features at easy 5th class, off to the right. It's all natural gear and faster than the 5.10 face climbing.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Sendero Luminoso 5.9 ' main page