Shirkooh

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Additional Information Elevation: 13303 ft / 4055 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Shirkooh –which means Lion Mountain-, is part of a group of mountains which encircles the west side of central desert of Iran known as (Dashte Kavir). Shirkooh, Barfkhaneh and Asemankooh are the most famous summit in that area, which are located in the south part of Yazd city. Ascent to the peak of Shirkooh is possible even for beginners and inexperienced mountaineers in all seasons. Blizzard and avalanche make the winter ascent difficult and dangerous, but when the condition of weather is good there won’t be much problem.
One-day ascent is possible even in wintertime, if you are fit enough. Skilled mountaineers can easily reach to top in 7 hours.

Getting There


For getting there you have to go to Yazd, From Tehran, you can get there by bus, train or plain, but I don’t suggest the bus, because you have to spend more than 10 hours in an uncomfortable seat. From Yazd you can rent a car or minibus and go toward Taft city and after that Dehebala, Finally you will reach Sheikh Ali Shah farm. You have to start your ascent from there.

Red Tape


Fortunately, right now there is not any trouble of these kinds for mountaineers.

When To Climb


As I said before best time to climb Shirkooh is early spring, but winter ascent is more challenging and more sportive. In the summer it is too hot.

Camping


There won’t be any problem for camping in this region. There are two camps there. One is made of concrete and the other one of metal. There is stream beside these camps. On the summit there is also an out of order shelter.

Mountain Conditions


Because Shirkooh is located in a desert region, the difference in the temperature of day and night is quite a lot; therefore early spring is the best time for mountaineering.
If you are attempting a winter ascent it is highly recommended to have an ice axe baton. The temperature in the camp in winter nights in a nice weather is almost minus 7- Celsius degree; therefore you need a warm sleeping bag.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.