Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.42000°N / 7.53000°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10640 ft / 3243 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The massif of Wildstrubel, part of Bernese Alps, is situated between Gemmipass in the east and Rawilpass in the west, which connect the cantons Bern and Wallis of Switzerland. In difference to his neighbors futher in the east, the appearance of Wildstrubel is less rugged and steep. So Wildstrubel is a mountain, that is suitable for incipient alpinists to make first experience with ice and snow of glaciers. Wildstrubel has three summits, that are nearly of same elevation:
  • Western summit or "Lenker Strubel" (3243,5 m, designated as "Wildstrubel" in the official maps of Switzerland)

  • middle-summit (3243,5m)

  • eastern summit, Adelbodnerstrubel or "Grossstrubel" (3242,6m).
The summits are connected by a bent ridge of length about 3.5 km, that invites for a traverse. Usually the summit region is reached across one of the numerous glaciers surrounding the mountain. The bigger ones are Wildstrubelgletscher (in the south-east), plaine-morte (south-west), Strubelgletscher ans Ammertengletscher (north). Ascending these glaciers on usual routes is relative easy. The sections of rock are rated UIAA I or II.

First ascention: Tritten and Schmid, 1855

Getting There


Wildstrubel area can be reached from Bern, the capital of Switzerland in the north, by motorway to Spiez and following the highway to Frutigen. From Frutigen either to Adelboden or Kandersteg. Lenk on the north side of the mountains can be reached from Spiez, too. In the south Leukerbad or Crans Montana are starting points in the Wallis, both reached from bottom of Rhone valley.

When To Climb


Best time for ascending Wildstrubel is summer from june to august. Besides Wildstrubel is a worth-wile object for ski-touring.

Lodgings, refuges


There are several points of supports around the massif:
  • Lämmerenhütte in the east of Wildstrubel, 2507m
    Excellent managed hut of SAC-section Angenstein (Basel)
    Starting point for Lenker Strubel and Wildstrubel-traverse to Engstligenalp
    Opened during ski-touring season in spring and in summer.
    The hut is reached from Gemmipass in 1.5 hours, from Schwarenbach in 3.5 hours, from Engstligenalp over Chindbettipass and Rote Totzlücke in 4 hours (easy glacier walk incusive).
    78 places, Tel: ++41(0)27 470 25 15, privat ++41(0)33 673 30 10


  • Engstligenalp, 1954m in the north of Wildstrubel
    Center of winter-sports. Hotel Oester-Mueller (Tel.: ++41(0)33 673 22 91, Fax ++41(0)33 673 46 91) and "Berghaus" Bärtschi (Tel. ++41(0)33 673 13 73 or ++41(0)33 673 22 55, Fax ++41(0)33 673 27 15) with beds and mattresses. In winter only to be reached by mountain railway from Station "Unter dem Birg" (bus to Adelboden). At the station you find the beginning of the footpath to Engstligenalp, that can be used during summer-season, too (remarkable cataract).


  • Schwarenbach, 2060m, lying at the ancient footpath from Kandersteg to Gemmipass above Leukerbad ("Gemmiweg").
    Hotel and inn rich of tradition. Prominent persons (Mark Twain, Lenin and many others) have visited Schwarenbach.
    Opened spring and summer. Beds and mattresses. Winter-room. Tel.: ++41(0)33 675 12 72 / Fax ++41(0)33 675 22
    From Kandersteg 3.5 hours, when mountain railway to Sunnbüel is used, ascending time shortens to less than 1.5 hours.


  • Hotel Wildstrubel / Gemmipass, 2314m
    Nearby upper station of mountain railway from Leukerbad to Gemmipass.
    Tel.: ++41(0) 27 470 12 01, Fax: ++41(0) 27 470 27 97
    From Leukerbad in 2.5 to 3 hours. Without using mountain railway about 5-6 hours from Kandersteg


  • Wildstrubelhütten, 2793m
    Hut of SAC-section Bern
    For opening times see hut's homepage.
    Tel.: +41 (0)33 744 33 39
    To be reached from Lenk-Iffigenalp (in summer, 4 hours), from Engstligenalp across Ammertenpass (7 hours) or from Montana over the Col du Pochet (5 hours) or from upper station of the mountain railway Montana - glacier de la Plaine Morte (1.5 hours).


  • Flueseehut, 2.049m
    Fluhseeverein Lenk
    Hut of Category 2, 12 places
    Situated within 3 hours hike from Simmenfalls. On west side of summit at 2049 m. No resident guardian. 15Fr / night + 5 for wood. For info phone +41(0)33 7332108 (thanks for information to wildstrubel).
    hut-keeper: Werner Buchs
    Oberriedstrasse 39
    3775 Lenk
    Tel: +41(0)33 733 25 15 / +41(0)79 720 12 30



Camping


There are several lodgings around. So bivaouc or camping is not nessescary for ascending Wildstrubel. But camping is possible in several camping sites in all the villages around.

Maps and guides


Guides in German language:
  • Werner und Margit Munter: Berner Alpen
    Presentation of essential ascends in the mountain range of Bernese Alps for mountaineers.
    10th edition 1995. Published by Bergverlag Rudolf Rother GmbH, Munich.
    ISBN 3-7633-2415-1.
    22,90 Euro


  • Daniel Anker: Berner Alpen, Band 1, Sanetsch bis Gemmi
    SAC-guide (SAC = Alpine Club of Switzerland). Comprehensive presentation of all routes in the region around Wildhorn and Wildstrubel.
    Edition 1991. ISBN 3-85902-103-6
    28,00 Euro


Maps:
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.