Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.59110°N / 111.7105°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11275 ft / 3437 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sunrise Peak is a relatively obscure peak in the Wasatch range. It is often overlooked since it shares the same approach as Twin Peaks. On most topo maps Sunrise is labeled as O'Sullivan Peak. Locals refer to it as Sunrise Peak. The easiest route on the mountain is Class 3. Sunrise is the prominent mountain that comes into view approaching from Broad's Fork.

Getting There

The trailhead is located in Big Cottonwood Canyon. To reach Big Cottonwood Canyon take the 6200 S exit off I215 and follow the signs east for the Brighton/Solitude ski resorts. The trailhead is located 4.5 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon from the intersection of Wasatch Blvd at the mouth of the canyon. There is a parking lot on the righthand side of the road. This parking lot also serves as the trailhead for Lake Blanche and the approach to Sundial Peak. The trail is located at the west end of the parking lot and has a sign indicating Broad's Fork.

Broads Fork Approach

The trailhead is 4.5 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon at 6200 ft. There is a well-defined trail that climbs steeply for the first two miles to the meadows at 8400 ft. Generally, the trail crosses the creek to the east and follows the east side of the valley. However, in early spring snow conditions may be such that consolidated snow may allow for easier ascent up the western side of the valley. The north face of Sunrise is in clear view the entire approach from the meadows. Continue climbing another 2 miles until directly under the north face of Sunrise. This is also where the route to Twin Peaks heads up and to the west. One may either ascent to the saddle between Twin Peaks and Sunrise and ascend the peak via the western ridge (this is a little longer route) or ascent the chute just to the east of Sunrise. This chute leads to the saddle between Sunrise and Dromedary. Climb the chute via snow or loose scree to the saddle. From the saddle climb class 3-4 ledges and blocks to the rounded summit at 11,275 feet. The north face of Sunrise offers some exposure. The easier climbing stays to the south side of the ridge.

Red Tape

No permits or fees are required and camping is allowed within the Twin Peaks Wilderness area. Summer weekends may present some parking challenges.

When To Climb

The general climbing season is June-September, however, the mountain can be climbed all year. Winter ascents present avalanche danger and only experienced mountaineers should attempt the peak in winter. Late spring ascents are recommended once the snow has consolidated and the final snow has broken off the slabs east of Twin Peaks. Crampons and ice axe are recommended for winter or late spring ascents.

Camping

Camping is allowed within the Twin Peaks Wilderness area. Camping at the meadows within 2 miles of the trailhead is usually preferred.

The Triple Traverse

Twin Peaks, Sunrise and Dromedary can be climbed in one day from the Broads Fork trailhead. It is a long day at 11 miles and 6000 ft elevation gain. All 3 peaks can be climbed either west to east or east to west. Generally, the traverse is done beginning with Twin Peaks on the west and ending on Dromedary.
From upper Broad's Fork follow the standard route for Twin Peaks to the Twin Peaks/Sunrise saddle. Continue up the southwestern ridge to Twin Peaks. Return to the saddle and ascend the west ridge of Sunrise to it's summit. Descend Sunrise's east ridge to reach the Sunrise/Dromedary saddle. This point provides a good option to end the traverse if inclimate weather or fatigue becomes an issue. If conditions and stamina are good, drop slightly down to the southeast from the Dromedary/Sunrise saddle. Contour to a small couloir and ascend the couloir to Dromedary's summit. Either return to the Dromedary/Sunrise saddle or descend the east slopes of Dromedary and contour underneath the north face of Dromedary on talus or snow.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Scott

Scott - Feb 8, 2005 5:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

lat: 40.5991
lon: -111.7113

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - May 13, 2007 12:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Coords are still not there

could you please add them to place this mountain on the interactive maps etc. at last! Thanks :)

rmjwinters

rmjwinters - May 21, 2007 5:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Coords are still not there

I just updated with Scott P's coordinates and it looks like it is still off a bit.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - May 21, 2007 7:05 pm - Voted 10/10

40.5911°N, 111.7105°W (NAD27)

Don't blame me :) The easiest way to get the coords is by clicking on the little Google Maps window on the edit page, but it's often hard to guess the exact position of the summit. Another, more precise, way is to bring up the topozone page, select DD.DDD / NAD27 in the menu on the left, and click at the desired location. The sought-after numbers appear at the upper edge of the map.

Ryan Borzea

Ryan Borzea - Jan 28, 2016 10:35 am - Voted 10/10

Route info. for saddle between Twins and Sunrise

In the route description is says this route (from the saddle between Sunrise and Twins) is longer, can anyone tell me what the technical aspects are? Class 2, 3, 4? And is is more or less technical than the standard route to Twins? Thanks, Ryan

stokel

stokel - Jul 2, 2016 8:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Additional Beta

So this page needs a little more information. The ridge scramble between the Twin Peaks/Sunrise col is mostly Class 3 with some Class 4 sections. All have Class 5 consequences. Similarly, the traverse between Sunrise and Dromedary is also mostly Class 3 with brief Class 4. The final descent to the Sunrise/Dromedary col is very lose and steep. Trend left (north) of the ridge in the final stretches. For everything else, skirting the right-hand (south) sides of the ridges tended to work well. I have a .gpx of the Sunrise/Dromedary loop which could be added.

swenspud

swenspud - Aug 25, 2016 2:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Additional Beta

Looking to do the Triple Traverse in the next few weeks and would definitely be interested in any .gpx data you have. Is that something you could message me?

Viewing: 1-7 of 7


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wasatch Range (Central)Mountains & Rocks
 
Wasatch Cottonwood RidgeMountains & Rocks
 
Wasatch 11,000 foot peaksMountains & Rocks