Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.08330°N / 115.2667°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8878 ft / 2706 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Grotto from the Spray lakes...
True to its name this peak contains a large cave. Named by James Hector and Eugene Bourgueau after discovering the cave. Nowadays this peak also contains a large quarry on one of its sides. This is an excellent conditioning hike/climb. Most people use the Northeast (ACC) route which is a series of swithbacks starting from the rear of the Alpine Club of Canada’s Canmore clubhouse. Excellent views of the Bow Valley from its ridge all the way to the summit. There is a Summit register.

Getting There

Mount Fable
From Calgary take the Trans-Canada Highway to Canmore. There follow signs to The Alpine Club of Canada. More road detail to follow. Check in with the folks at the ACC before parking in the Clubhouse parking lot. The space is limited so guest will have first rights. You can park further down the road if the lot is full.

Red Tape

Looking North
No red tape is needed for this day hike.

When To Climb

Summit ridge
All year long.

Camping

View towards the Summit
There is no camping that I know of on the Mountain. But this peak can be approched from many angles. There may be camping permitted on the east side. I will check. There is space available right at the base of the mountain at the Alpine Club of Canada. Members 18 $ CDN non-members 19 $CDN per night depending on space availablity.

Alpine Club of Canada & Weather

Spray Lake Ranger Station. (403) 678-5533
Alberta Tourist Visitor Centre (403) 678-5277

Joining a club such as The Alpine Club of Canada is recommended when climbing in Canada. While it is not obligatory, useful information can be had at any of their Clubhouse in Canmore, or at their website which is open to everyone.

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/
The Alpine Club of Canada (403) 678-3200, ext 1

weather office or (403) 762-2088 for weather conditions



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.