Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.63630°N / 105.794°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13850 ft / 4221 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Edwards is a Front Range, Colorado centennial thirteener. It sits on the continental divide, a close neighbor to Grays Peak. Its easy access from Denver makes it one of the most popular climbs in the state... below 14,000 ft. Over 100 climbers per year register their names on this summit. Edwards has a rugged north face with a steep snow couloir. Gentler routes are on the east side.

Getting There


You may access Mount Edwards from a variety of starting points:

Stevens Gulch, Grays Peak Trail.  At 11,230' elevation, this trailhead provides access to Edwards' north side and west ridge. Take the Bakerville exit (exit 221) from Interstate 70. Drive 3+ miles to the large parking area at the trailhead. The road is in much better condition now (June 2004) than it was last summer. Regular passenger cars, including a Chevy station wagon, can now reach the trailhead. Only one hour's drive from Golden.

Leavenworth Creek Trailhead: At 9,560' elevation, provides access to Mount Edwards from the east. From Georgetown, take the Guanella Pass road 2.6 miles south to the Waldorf Road junction. This is the year-round trailhead, unless you have 4 wheel drive. In summer, 4WD vehicles can proceed 6.2 miles farther, all the way up to the Waldorf Mine at 11,580 ft.

Horseshoe Basin Trailhead: At 11,100' elevation, provides access to Edwards' south side. Take U.S. hwy 6 to the Keystone North Peak Ski Area Road. Follow the Road 0.1 mile south, then turn east onto Montezuma Road. Take the Montezuma Road 5 miles east to Peru Creek Road. Follow this road 5 miles further east to the Shoe Basin Mine. Peru Creek Road is open in summer and early fall.

Routes Overview


West Ridge: Class 2+, moderate snow. 7 miles round trip from the Stevens Gulch Trailhead. 2940' elevation gain.

Goatfinger: Class 2+ steep snow. 7 miles round trip from Stevens Gulch Trailhead. 2620' elevation gain.

East Slopes: Class 1 walk-up. 16 miles round trip from Leavenworth Creek Trailhead, 4290' elevation gain. 3.6 miles from Waldorf Mine, with 2270' elevation gain.

Southwest Slopes, Argentine Pass: Class 1 when Peru Creek Road is open. 7 miles round trip from Horseshoe Basin Trailhead. 2750' elevation gain.

Edwardian Couloir on south face: Class 2, moderate snow. 4.5 miles round trip from Horseshoe Basin Trailhead. 2750' elevation gain.

Red Tape


This mountain is in the Arapaho National Forest. Federal Regulations apply to all visitors. Keep your dog on a leash so that it cannot disturb wildlife.

The popular road from Bakerville to the Grays Peak Trailhead runs through 1.4 miles of private land. The private land is being developed. The owners are tired of people parking in their driveways, so try not to.

Mountain Conditions / When to Climb


Current conditions are maintained on the Arapaho National Forest Service web site. They publish campground status, fire restrictions, road conditions, and safety advisories. You may contact the local Forest Service office at:


Clear Creek Ranger District
101 Chicago Creek Road
Post Office Box 3307
Idaho Springs, CO 80452
303-567-2901 or 303-567-3000


Nearly everybody who climbs Mt. Edwards does so between May and September. Mountain conditions should be familiar to those who have spent much time in the Colorado Rockies, the biggest danger being lightning associated with afternoon thunderstorms. Check the NOAA weather forecast for Bakerville before you go, and err on the side of safety once you are there. Live to climb another day, I always say.

Camping


There are eight developed campgrounds in the Clear Creek Ranger District, some of which may be reserved. Dispersed camping is also permitted.

Views from Mount Edwards


One of the main reasons to climb mountains is to enjoy the views, right? Here are some views you may enjoy from Mount Edwards.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Front RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
Contiguous US Highest 150Mountains & Rocks
 
 
Front Range Highest 20Mountains & Rocks